1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I pulled this off

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by hero8675, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

The properties->Driver update is useless in every aspect. I have never found this to be of any use for me.

Go to Start->control Panel->Sound->speakers->Levels->Realtek HD audio output. Crank that up and see if that helps.

2. hero8675

hero8675 Member

so I switched my speakers from non powered speakers to powered speakers and they are nice and loud now.

Do I have to use powered speakers or is their an option for non powered speakers?

3. hero8675

hero8675 Member

The front power button on my case will turn the computer off without shutting down if I press it for a fraction of a second. I accidently turned off my computer 2 times by crossing my legs and hitting the power button with my toe.

Is there a way to change what happens if I hit the power button when the computer in on?

on my old computers 1 had to hold the power button for 3 seconde before it would turn off.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The power button should not be able to turn a PC off instantaneously, but it's probably a BIOS setting.

5. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

^but is there any other option in the event of a total system lock up?

Not sure what you mean. If your referring to some cheap USB power speakers vs speakers running off your your surge protector, its because USB is very limited in how much power it can draw.

6. hero8675

hero8675 Member

My old speakers were not powered at all and they were super loud on my old computer. Back in the day I had a high end stereo system with 3 foot tall speakers that were also not powered (did not plug into an outlet) I assumed some power comes from the same cord that plugged into the speaker hook up.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's different. Speakers do not require their own power, only an amplified source. With PC speakers, there is no amplifier in the PC, so the speakers need their own amplifier after the audio cable comes out.
    With hifis, the amplifier is built into the unit, so the speaker connections already receive an amplified signal.

8. hero8675

hero8675 Member

First off I would like to thank everyone for their help. With your help and me Forest Gumping my way through this I researched, collected parts and built a computer.

a couple more questions.

I bought windows 7 and installed it. Whats the deal with reinstaling it? If I get a new hard drive can I reinstall it on my machine? If my computer goes out of service can I put it on a laptop?

When I go to my computer I see a floppy drive. I dont have a floppy drive. why does it show up?

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As for Win7 licenses, it's a complex system, but generally you can reinstall without issues.
    Wrt floppy drives, they're included by default whether or not one is installed due to an ancient requirement of windows OSes that doesn't apply any more. The imaginary floppy drive can be removed, but it doesn't bother me enough to warrant doing it, so I've never done it myself.