1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I really need to learn more about modding before i start, so...

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by HaloSnipa, Jan 21, 2005.

1. HaloSnipa

HaloSnipa Member

i need a few good websites, i have been to a few but, they go on and on about the technical things that i dont even care about yet, i need a site that has instructions for people who have like never done modding and have basically never heard of it until a little bit ago,

2. j_sanders

j_sanders Member

yeah same here..i just would like to know what would be the best way to go about modding it, and what will moding it do

3. big_g-man

big_g-man Regular member

okay. the whole point of modding your xbox is to be able to play backed up games (on dvd+-r) or games off your hard drive.
    the first step is to buy a modchip or softmod your box, but since you all sound like noobs (its ok, i was one once) you should prolly just buy a chip.
    once you have that installed (there are many noob-friendly guides out there @ xbox-scene.com and other sites), you can now run software that m$ didn't sign. that means you can now play backed up games and/or load up a boot disc with another dashboard that supports FTP (file transfer protocol). FTP enables you to transfer programs/dashboards into your box that can rip xbox games, play ripped xbox games (that you bought, of course ;)), and many other very cool things.
    since modchips have a new bios for your xbox, you can do all this cool stuff and throw in a new hard drive to hold all these games.

so your first step is to buy a modchip. go to xbox-scene.com and read their tutorials (thats how i did it) and read about modchips. make sure your chip is compatable with your xbox version and has what you need, even though i don't know of a new one that won't have what you need.

i hope this little guide helps.

4. Twinski

Twinski Regular member

5. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

good advice from the guys on here
    I found in dec 2002 when I first got into xbox modding
    start at the beginning, theres a FOUNTAIN of knowledge out there, on this forum, at xbox-scene on modchip sites etc, llamma.com and many many more
    you name it
    first think, is expense a big issue? do you wanna do it for free
    do you want to add a big hard drive. have room for emulators and your backups etc?
    when you think of that, you can consider 1/ softmod, 2/ modchip
    then its a case of doing it in "sections" ie getting the right apps, bios, tools etc
    its all out there:))
    if yo ugo the modchip way, an auto installer is the BEST way and EASIEST way to get the apps you need onto your box.
    theres a lot of installers out there, slayers is popular (mines better, but only available on dvd cos its huge!)
    and another thing to consider is, what youre gonna use it for? JUST and only JUST backing up games? if so, all you need is evox or an alternative dash . IF oyu wanna expand your xbox like many of us do:) then theres a mountain of apps out there.
    (do a search for xbins irc, theyre all there)

6. tipotip

tipotip Member

visit www.teamxodus.com

they have a download section with losta manuals that can help you out.

There forums are also very helpful

7. siegeA

siegeA Member

OK, i'm in the boat as most people on this thread, except that I have a ps2, that i have modded (well not really, I just got the swap discs). I can't really upgrade the PS2 much, though i do have the 80gig HDD that came with FFXI.

Anyway, I don't even have my Xbox yet, I just got a good deal on one, and put it in lay-a-way at work. I want basically just to make back ups, as I do with my PS2. I've read about making Xiso's of games to be able to write them to a regular DVD. If i did this would I have to upgrade my Xbox HDD? Also, what kind of stuff can I do if (well more like when) I link my Xbox to my PC thru my router? Can I say, store games on my external or internal computer HDD, and load them from there?

I know, it's a lot of questions, and probably all of them could have been found through reading. Also, (my noobish-ness is gonna show) what is "flashing" things onto the Xbox HDD?

8. siegeA

siegeA Member

Also, what do you guys think of the Xenium ICE chip? If i get this, will it cover most of the stuff I nedd to back-up games?

9. rastasker

rastasker Guest

yeah its a really good chip my friend installed his a couple of weeks ago. hes had no problems.

10. tipotip

tipotip Member

Xenium Ice

awsome chip :)

11. big_g-man

big_g-man Regular member

to answer your questions, siege, in order to play backups, no you don't have to physically upgrade your xbox hdd but you do have to use another dash to play them from the hard drive.

when you link your xbox up to your pc, you can install new dashes, new programs (like xbmc and game rippers), and (if you have them on your pc) xbox games.

and yes, you can store games on the xbox's internal hard drive and load them from there.

you don't flash things onto your xbox hdd. you flash your modchip with a new bios.

12. aztecwiz

aztecwiz Member

i just want to play back up games, i don t want to change the hard drive. will soft modding allow me to do that and where can i find a soft modding guide
    thanks

13. big_g-man

big_g-man Regular member

yea, softmodding will allow you to play backups. check out xbox-scene.com under the tutorials section.