1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I REALLY STINK AT THIS! PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by howcarpa, Jan 27, 2007.

1. howcarpa

howcarpa Member

Okay. Very quickly. I have been trying to learn to burn for the last two years. I have no idea what DVD-9 or most other glossery words mean (no matter how many times I read them! Just computer stupid!) I was using DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, and RipIt4Me, but I am having a lot of problems because I am not able to burn many movies.

Can anyone please give me from start to finish help? I have spent hours reading guides and thread from before (starting in 2002) but still have no clue. I have dumped everything off my computer and am ready to start new. I have a Dell Inspron 8600 and a HP DVD 640 Lightscribe Burner.

Thanks so very much!

2. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Many people use these guides and swear by them. If you don't understand something, just keep going over it: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/334154 or http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/422740, take your pick . DVD-9 is just a DVD that holds 7.95 G as opposed to a regular DVD (DVD-5) and is referred to as Dual Layer (DL). You will have to use the glossary above, if you find a word you don't understand, looking it up is a good way to learn. People don't mind helping but there is just too much to explain in general unless you have a specific question.

3. JVC

JVC Active member

Here are some more excellent guides: http://webpages.charter.net/bacitup/
    Just take your time, and go step by step (no matter which guides you use), each time you want to burn a dvd. After awhile, you'll memorize it, just from the redundancy of it.

As was said........DVD9 is simply a double layer (DL) disc. The package will say it's 8.5 GB.
    A DVD5 is just a single layer disc. The package will say it's 4.7 GB.
    Good luck!

BTW........
    DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter won't do the new movies by themselves anymore. They need help. Most of us use either DVDFab Decrypter (free), or AnyDVD (Free Trial). I prefer AnyDVD, personally. It updates very frequently, and the updates are free for life. I've never used RipIt4Me. I've never needed to..... :eek:)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  4. Shardel

Shardel Guest

If you go to the guides tab on the home page, then type in
    RipIt4Me guide, it brings up a list of the guides. The second
    guide down is by alkohol and says RipIt4Me, Shrink, and Imgburn.
    It is a very complete guide and might be helpful for you.
    I've been at this a while too and occasionally a word comes along
    that I don't understand. People on afterdawn have been very
    helpful explaining a particular term to me when I ask a specific
    question.
    Good Luck with learning-don't give up. We all started somewhere.
    There is new stuff to learn every day.

5. howcarpa

howcarpa Member

Thanks much for everyones help. I'll give all that a try and start reading more.