1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I may have broken my NEC DVD-RW?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by happy100, Apr 26, 2007.

1. happy100

happy100 Member

Hi

To cut a long story short, I had problems with my system and I thought a DVD-RW firmware update would help! :-(

I've updated the firmware on my NEC ND-3500AG DVD-RW and now I can't get it to read anything!

The update I used was from here -
    http://www.micheldeboer.nl/firmware/3500.html

The ND-3500A_win21B.zip file!

Have I finished off my drive or is it recoverable?

Many thanks, Happy.

2. onya

onya Guest

Have you tried rolling back the driver in Device Manager?

3. happy100

happy100 Member

Hi

Thanks for the response, but it's the firmware built into the drive, I've updated, not the windows xp driver software.

Cheers, Happy.

4. Ripper

Ripper Active member

You may have flashed your drive with the wrong firmware, as there are several version for your drive. What make of PC do you have? Did you buy the drive retail or OEM? (dont know what that means? search plz)

If you've flashed with the wrong firmware, chances are your drive is dead. You can try flashing back to the original, stock firmware, but that's only worth trying if you are sure you've flashed it with the wrong firmware. Answer my above questions and we can determine that.

5. happy100

happy100 Member

I have a own built system with an OEM drive brought from an online store.

I have managed to flash to version 2.58 with the help of a piece of software called discinfo.
    Now my drive will read some discs, but not all!
    The ones it seem not to want to read are the original DVD film rental discs, just get a lot of clicking noises?

I haven't try burning anything yet, but now I wonder if it's a windows issue, as I did a Pioneer flash update for my Pioneer 120S DVD-ROM using the 1.01 update and everytime I pop a disc in, it freezes the system after a lot of clicking noises, it was doing this before the firmware update on this one as well by the way.
    Though this Pioneer will read everything in Safe Mode?
    The NEC won't read the Rental DVD's in Safe Mode though!

Any ideas?

6. happy100

happy100 Member

Hi

Many thanks for the responses.

I did try rolling back the driver in Device Manager, but that didn't work.

Though I have managed to get the firmware back to version 2.58, which I beleive is the latest one for this drive from here - http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php#N
    I now seem to be able to read most things again, I haven't tried burning as yet though, fingers crosssed!

I think this was a lucky escape for me, I don't think I'll mess around with firmware again!

Many thanks for all you help!

Cheers, Happy.

7. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Glad you got it sorted. Sorry for the absense of reply; this one must've slipped through.

Post back if you have problems burning.