1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

$#!@#$ I think I screwed my computer

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Dacian, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Dacian

Dacian Member

I was ghosting my 250GB HDD to a 1TB HDD so that my Vista and aplications would work all the same, well when it copied it over it doesn't match the drive letter so it won't let me log into my real account, just a temp account. It won't find the Disk Management on the drive though it IS there. I have a Windows 7 Upgrade, if I install it would it fix my problem? If not, is there any other way to help?

You guys always give the best advice, would really appreciate the help!

PS. I tried using Norton Ghost again to copy back to old drive but it said it had insufficient space left on the drive despite it being the same ammount, must not be able to copy down in size?

2. jony218

jony218 Guest

You might want to try the free "paragon rescue kit 9.0 express" it's a bootcd. I've used it with windows xp to change drive letters and get my restored drive to boot. It is vista capable.

I'm not to familiar with vista and how it handles drive letters, but I know in XP if the restored drive has a drive letter problem, a repair installation won't fix the problem. The only way to fix it is to change the drive letter manually to match up.

These old true image forums have help me alot in dealing with imaging problems. All imaging software encounter the same problems, so the fixes are the same for all of them. You might see a problem similar to yours there.
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65

3. Dacian

Dacian Member

Thanks a lot for the help! I read up and Vista is the same way, when you install it, it can only go to drive C, or in this case X because that was what I named my master drive to. So I googled it thinking about drive letter switching and found a program The Code Project is making that is just a simple app that it comes up saying "select existing drive" and "Change to" and thankfully it works even on the drive you're running it from, restarted and everything's working like a charm. Thanks a lot jony218!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009