1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think my com has big trouble with spyware

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by udcstb, Mar 16, 2007.

1. udcstb

udcstb Member

I tried every spyware detector
    but they all found alot of spyware but without paying money
    non of them help me to get rid of them
    I tried to search locations of those spyware files
    but I couldn't find them

does this mean my computer is already infested too much?
    I even don't have any idea about
    where I can start to solve the problem.
    Please let me know how can I find them without
    using commercial spyware software
    thanks alot

2. revengine

revengine Regular member

Try Ad-Aware and spybot. Their both very good and free also. Make sure when you install the programs to get your updates first then do a complete scan. Goodluck, wArDeD

3. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Welcome to Ad udcstb!

Let's start by removing the recent software that you installed from Add/Remove Programs in the control panel. You need to be careful of that stuff, some of it applies undesirable stuff on your computer.

After you have removed all of those programs, I want you to download these programs. All of these programs are free and do a good job, however, you do need to run them all.

Ad-Aware
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    A-Squared Free
    CCleaner

If you do not have an anti-virus use this one: AVG Free Remember not to have two anti-viruses on your machine at the same time.

If you do not have a firewall use this one: Zone Alaram

It is best that after the programs are installed and have the latest updates to reboot the machine in safe mode. Press F8 repeatedly at startup and a menu will give you the option to start in safe mode. From there run all of the programs. The last one that you want to run is CCleaner (for your registry) and your Anti-Virus.

After you do all of that your machine should be clean. Let me know if you have any problems or if you need further assistance.

4. udcstb

udcstb Member

Thanks alot
    I just did disk cleanup and defragmentation
    and while I'm doing that I got rid of alot of programs and things
    Fortunately my com is still operating :p
    and I'm downloading those programs you suggested
    so I think I can tell you the result tomorrow !
    I'm suprised by kind and quick reply from both of you
    Thanks and see u later

5. udcstb

udcstb Member

It's me again
    I just down loaded Ad Aware SE and before I run that
    they ask some message about this is 46 days old
    and whether I want update so I guess I supposed to say yes for that
    right ?
    thanks

6. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Yes, that is correct. I guess I could have given you the actual site to get the program from, but as long as you get it up to date you should have no problems.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

7. udcstb

udcstb Member

hi

I quartined 1156 objects from Ad aware SE and removed 716 object
    and spybot looks little slow to clean things and they got 91 object
    and A square got 95 object
    and CCleaner (I forgot )

Looks everything worked great
    I have McAfee Anti virus thing in my com

and I wonder how frequently I should do this kind of cleaning thing !
    and also Start> All programs
    I see still some unecessary object but I can't find where they are
    (like AOL ...) I can't find them in ADD and Remove program directory

Thanks for great help and see u

8. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

When you say program directory what do you mean is it the all programs list when you clik on the start button or the program files folder when you open C drive,if it's the programs list then go to
    "my computer" and open c drive (click unhide folders if necessary)open the program files folder and delete any folders to the software you want to get rid of that's not listed in add/remove,next use "run" command and type "regedit" (without quotes that goes for the run command),to the left of the window will be a column of expandable trees,expand the first and any entries that refer to deleted programs just delete them,the 2nd & 3rd trees just look under the software folders,remove folders to deleted software

WARNING BACK UP REGISTRY BEFORE DELETING unless your comfortable,below is a registry backup tool,once setup restart comp and it should automatically backup the registry for you the backup is in the C drive(open drive c) under WINDOWS folder,look for ERDNT

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html

EDIT: Regarding how often scan for spyware and viruses it depends,the best bet if unsure is daily ,below is a realtime spyware scanner i replaced winders defender with it simply coz i did'nt think much of defender,google for reviews of it
    http://www.spywareterminator.com/

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  9. syxguns

syxguns Active member

scorpNZ-
    I agree that the ERUNT is a great registry backup program. They also have a program for optimizing the registry called NETREGOPT. Here is the link to their home page where both programs are. http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

I also thank you for the info on spywareterminator. It will have to give that guy a shot. I have noticed that one program does not do it all for you, and that is why I suggested 4 different programs.

udcstb-
    Be careful when messing with the registry. It is an important thing to do, however, I have seen people make stupid mistakes. Make sure that you have a backup of your registry before messing with it.

Edit: for error correction!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  10. udcstb

udcstb Member

I know this is really stupid question
    but what is registry ?
    I guess it's a kind of back up program of during I cleaned my computer.
    But aren't the programs which I used to clean my com, don't erase only spyware or harmful program? Do they also erase some useful program? how they decide which is harmful and which is not?

I got little confused now.
    thanks for your concern and see u later .

11. udcstb

udcstb Member

To scorpNZ
    When I press start button it's in there
    not under the C drive.
    then what should I do?

12. syxguns

syxguns Active member

udcstb-
    I would like for you to forget about the registry. The registry is backbone of the computer, but I don't want you to try to clean anything in there. It should only be messed with by experienced users.

All of the programs that are used to clean your system all have files that are downloaded to let them know what to look for. All of the stuff that they find is junk or useless information, unless you have certain programs that they recognize as spyware. For example VNC Server or Viewer is considered spyware to them.

That CCleaner that I suggested and A-Squared both look for things in the registry. Your registry should be fine. Is your machine clean of spyware now? As long as it is then you shouldn't have a problem. If I were you I would run the programs at least once a week to keep your computer clean.