1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think the CPU I bought was overclocked

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by CPUGeek, May 20, 2007.

1. CPUGeek

CPUGeek Member

So, I bought a CPU, a AMD Athlon XP 2800+ about a year and 2 months ago. Lately, Ive really been getting into computers and fixing them and messing with them.

My computer, ever since I bought it, has had temperature problems. the average right now is about 65-57 degrees. I burnt out 2 power sources and got them replaced and set a shut down temp at 70 C. however, whenever I play video games unless the temp in my room is freezing, my comp will automatically shut down after 10 minutes or so.

I downloaded CPU-Z and it tells me that my core

2. CPUGeek

CPUGeek Member

multiplier is 16.0X and Im running at 2130 MHz.

where I live, it is fraud to sell a comp thats been overclocked. and my PC is a custom built from a small computer store.

is my computer overclocked? how can I find out?

Heres the rest of the info, from CPU-z

3. AhuraM

AhuraM Member

Greetings:

From wiki

Athlon XP-M "Barton" (Desktop Replacement, 72 W TDP, Socket A)
    Athlon XP-M 2800+ 2133 MHz 512 KiB 266 MHz 16x 1.65 June 7, 2003 part # AXMA2800FKT4C

The number 2800 has no relevance on its actual speed, rated speed is 2133. It has a 133 bus running double data bus for 266mhz. Seems to be an OEM. The voltage is listed at 1.65 max rating to 90 temp, dissipation at 72w, seems to be performing within standards.

I would check your cmos and make sure you are running the correct voltage it may also be your video card overheating or bad ram.

Hope this helps.