1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I tried, but just too much of a newbie

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by budc, Dec 27, 2004.

1. budc

budc Member

Help please - I tried to look on this forum and on google, but am still confused. I just got a Lite-On 16x DVD+/-R,DVD+/-RW, dual layer 8.5GB drive. I am using Maxell DVD-R 4.7GB disks. I have a movie(which I did buy but got cracked in half)and want to make a dvd of it from a download. The download uses divx codec compression and plays fine on my computer(from the hard drive). I am using the Nero Express software that came with the drive. When I try to burn this movie, it gets to the end and I get a message saying"Sorry, your compilation cannot be written on this kind of disc. Please insert a disc of the correct type or modity the settings of your compilation to make it compatible with the current disk." I am sure this is a famous message. What is most likely the problem? This drive should burn eveything and the movie is just under a GB. The disk is 4.7gb, so it should have plenty of space. I also have the Power DVD software if that is something that matters.

2. budc

budc Member

Also, the movie is 913mb. I get a message before I try to burn stating "Your project currently requires more disk space than avaliable on selected destination device - used disk space 834.6mb" Is this saying I only have 834.6 mb of space on this potenttially 4.7gb disk? Is there a recording speed I can choose to get more on the disk and how do I change to a different speed?

3. budc

budc Member

please help me - i need to burn this so i can take it on a trip tomorrow. thanks

4. budc

budc Member

anyone with any ideas?

5. budc

budc Member

hello again - can someone please help

6. hursty

hursty Active member

have you tried using a different program?sounds like your settings are incorrect,without going into to much detail,
    #1.download dvd shrink,dvd decrypter
    #2.open up the file in shrink and see what you have
    #3.compress "full disc"
    #4.click EDIT>PREFERENCES>FILE I/O and untick "ENABLE BURNING WITH NERO"
    #5.minimize shrink and open decrypter
    #6.click MODE>ISO>WRITE(providing movie is in iso form,adjust if nessecary)
    #7.back to shrink..click backup.
    #8.decrypter will open up.ensure settings are correct i.e destination drive,write speed.
    #9click on highlighted disc symbol.

7. budc

budc Member

I tried to go to the file in Shrink, but when I go to the folder where the file is located, it won't let me get into the folder and click on the acual file. I get an error message something like "DVD shrink encountered an error and cannot continue - failed to open file "bfbfbfb". The file I am trying to burn ends in \video_ts.ifo if that matters.

8. budc

budc Member

anymore ideas people?

9. hursty

hursty Active member

think i know what the problem is...i have just read your post again.are you trying to covert a DIVX movie into dvd-r???if so you need other software,click on "guides",look for divx to dvd-r.its a bit long winded for me to explain so this will give you all the info you need.best of luck regards hursty.

10. hursty

hursty Active member

also you said you are using nero express???did you mean neroVISION express???,because if you insist on using nero,that is the correct option.

11. budc

budc Member

HURSTY,

Thanks for the info. I am letting the TMPGEnc program do it's thing right now. I do have a concern with something in the program. I get a message saying that my movie may be more than 4096mb. Also, my blue bar(I believe for indicating disk space) goes past the little red dotted line and turns red. Does this mean my movie is too big to burn on 4.7gb and 8.5gb DVD disks? My movie file is only 913mb. Don't know if that translates into more than the average disk can hold? I did change the drop down box choice to 8.5gb disks which I am using anyway so that I could get it out of the red.

12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

budc,

You need to lQQk a little bit. Your file is a divx format and as such cannot be burned to a DVD, it needs to be converted if you have any intention of ever playing it.

We have this wierd little little tool here at aD called a "search" engine. You go to it and type in Divx to DVD and guess what - it tells you what to do . . .

Should you wish to try it, all your questions will be answered.

Happy New Year,

Pete

13. budc

budc Member

Hey Scuba Pete,

SCREW YOU! Did you even bother to read the NICE post that Hursty put up and I responded to? I believe he may have very well answered my questions or at least led me in the right direction - and I said such. Your little smart ass waist of time response was not even needed. I guess it makes you feel good, so do what you have to do, dork. I did look, have looked since, and had continued to look until Hursty responded with a REAL possible solution which I am in the process of trying. Not knowing from birth that a Divx file needs to be changed before it can burn to DVD is not something to be ashamed of. That's what forums like these and people like Hursty are for. Thanks to Hursty and once again, SCREW you.

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Goodness me, budc,

I thought I answered your question also -

Should you not wish help then don't "Bump" your thread.

I offered you many options instead of just one.

You obviously didn't know about the need for conversion so why are you so upset when someone explains it to you ? If you knew so much about it and required no further assistance - why pray tell did you just post this before my reply -

Huuuummm, as I read it, you still don't understand about the conversation otherwise why the note about your movie file being only 913 MB. Perhaps it wasn't your post -

Just a note, by adjusting the "drop-down" box and telling the proggy you're putting in a Dual-Layered disk isn't the answer UNLESS you have a DL disc to write too. There would be some pple, not as smart as you (maybe with a better mouth though) who might wish to get the movie to fit on a single, single-layered disc. But as you are using a $10.00, DL disc, you should be fine -

Ooohh, BTW, once again, Happy New Year -

Pete

(I'm thinking that when they sholved out the horse stall they piled it so high, that it got a mouth and began to speak -)o

Last edited: Jan 1, 2005
  15. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

@ budc

I don't want to see any more childish outbursts like that. I'd like to think we're all adults here so start acting like one.

16. budc

budc Member

NEPHILIM,
    Sorry about that, but I get tired of seeing guys like pete who spend all of there time TRYING to be know-it-alls on boards. I simply didn't see any need for his post when I had already explained I looked for the answers(but I guess pete thinks I am a liar, too - not just dumb) and said that I followed instructions once someone(Hursty) gave me some direction. I am not an idiot. Once given some choices, I can usually figure it out, which is what did. I can see if I was double posting, cross posting, demanding answers, being rude, acting clueless even after good answers have been given. But I just bumped my post with nice request for help a couple of times over a three day period and this guy responds to me like I'm doing something wrong. Pete is the type of guy who spends too much time on boards and not enough time relating to real people. Stop responding to people with smart butt comments until they give you a reason Pete. Be happy with your little knowledge of geek stuff and remember the way YOU come off to folks when typing keys.