1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question I wanna Buy a New Desktop, or laptop?

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by zenarrrow, Jan 1, 2018.

1. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Sweet, thanks for the replies, and links. Sorry about lack of communication. Just ended my work week so I can invest some more time here in the next few days.

2. hadisur

hadisur Newbie

Hello I think $1500 US is enough.

3. Mez

Mez Active member

Desk tops also give you more bang for the buck. Like DDP I do my own maintenance except for motherboard install. I can't read the writing and more importantly, I don't want to fry anything expensive. For $50 I get someone to flip the switch. Parts are cheaper and they are easier to work on. Plus parts are parts. If you screen goes on a lap top it is time to buy a new one.

Normally you don't drop desk tops.

I have a few negative comments on the cloud. 1) I was determined long ago that anything stored on a cloud can not be considered private because you have given your data to a third party for safe keeping. 2) I recall losing everything on a Microsoft cloud. They blamed me for my loss but users don't have privileges enough to irradiate everything it is like trying to eat yourself. Later I was talking to someone who had several clients who lost everything in MS servers and again MS blamed the users. My cloud is my shelf. I have a few high end external drive boxes. connected to my computer. I have maybe a dozen internal HDs sitting on a book shelf. I slip the appropriate drive into the box and spin it up. When I am done they go back on the shelf. I have never lost anything that way. Since the disks are rarely used they will probably out live me. I bet they are cheaper than the cloud as well. I do have small holding on several clouds for convenience but not for safe keeping.

4. aldan

aldan Active member

hehehe mez,i do that too.and i once called you paranoid.lol.it works for me.

5. Mez

Mez Active member

I am paranoid but my fears are based on reality. We know of dozens of attacks we don't know how to prevent. Most malware can't be detected at all while some can be located by enterprise level secure servers.

The most terrifying thing is top security architects are idiots compared to a big time hacker. They are way too stupid to even comprehend what they are up against. To be any kind of programmer you need to have an IQ of 120 or better as well as a certain kind of mind. To be a senior programmer 140 or better and architects need to be geniuses. A senior programmer can see flaws in coding that a lesser programmer can't see and will never see. They get miffed when they are told to fix code that looks fine to them. Most senior programmers and above have my fears.

Back in the 80s or 90s they used to have write protect jumpers for BIOS and HDs. Those concepts are now passé. Instead they secure them with software which can be easily circumvented. We would be infinitely better off with a RO C: All writing is done on D:. That is far more secure than a computer where hackers can update your OS.

As far as the cloud. We know NSA apologized for monitoring all our allies cloud servers. They couldn't keep them out. We now know at least one hacking group is better than hacking than the NSA. It is likely they built all the NSA's unstoppable attack tools. Years later we still have no protection against these tools nor do we have a tool that can detect the infections. These were all built in the 90s. I am sure they are using far more sophisticated tools today.

Anyone who isn't paranoid is a fool.

6. aldan

aldan Active member

i call it caution,but a little paranoia can be benificial.

7. noprob_01

noprob_01 Member

I agree with the poster concerning Windows 7 I don't do Windows 8 8.1 or Windows 10 that's all preference I prefer a workstation with Windows 7 Pro built-in and that would be my suggestion.

I have an old school Hewlett-Packard workstation that can use the original i7 I just purchased a Xeon CPU for $20 USD with an upgraded heat sink only paid $75 plus $25 for shipping it does me well. This workstation came with 9 GB of RAM I only use 6 GB.

I only use it for basic web browsing and email but it's a killer machine since my first computer back in '97

I purchased this computer a couple years ago on eBay.

Good luck on your choice of desktop.

8. cactikid

cactikid Active member

Yes altec lansing are fantastic speakers as still using mine with a newer w10 pc

9. attar

attar Senior member

10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

spammer spammed.