1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i want more memory

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by MSOV1986, Dec 16, 2007.

1. MSOV1986

MSOV1986 Regular member

im trying to figure out if i should get an more memory. i want my computer to multitask without lag. i keep looking at sites and they say to use 1 large and some say use 2 smaller ones. i curretly have Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz Model 2, Stepping 7 512MB . Any suggestions? What should i get?

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

What kind of motherboard do you have?

3. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

yes, more memory is good, depending on what OS you're using, too. if you have vista, then 1gig is minimum to get it running smoothly.

to check the memory that can go into your system, go to crucial.com and run their system scanner. it will check what memory size, speed, and how much can go into your system.

4. MSOV1986

MSOV1986 Regular member

I went to crucial and thats what it shows me.

Maximum Memory Capacity: 2048MB
    Currently Installed Memory: 512MB
    Available Memory Slots: 1
    Number of Banks: 2
    Dual Channel Support: No
    CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
    CPU Family: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz Model 2, Stepping 7
    CPU Speed: 2399 MHz
    I am using Windows XP

They give me options to choose from, are these the compatible memory that will run on my computer. Do I have to remove my old memory and put in a new one or can they both work together? Also is crucial a good place to buy from or is there somewhere else that might me cheaper or safer?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

can keep the old ram in when getting new ram. looks like ddr possibly pc3200 ram to be used on your motherboard.

6. SSDrifter

SSDrifter Guest

The upgrade is worth it on a p4. I had ap4 myself and know lag it gave. The upgrade will really help.
    Since you dont have dual channel 2x small Ram will not give you much of a boost. Check the mhz of your ram an see if your motherboard can take higher level of MHZ. eg. of your motherboard can support 800mhz ram, and you have a 200mhz ram There is no pint in keeping i and so you an buy a totally new set of ram. If they are not too bad, try getting one with the same MHZ or higher.

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

SSDrifter, faster ram will only run as fast as present ram so if present ram is slow then new ram will be slow, not faster.

8. SSDrifter

SSDrifter Guest

Read my full reply, i have told him to check the speed of the current Ram.

9. MSOV1986

MSOV1986 Regular member

ok well i got my memory from crucial and went to install it and powered up the tower, its beeps acouple times and nothing comes on, then i put in the old memory and still the same thing. Any suggestions on how to get my computer working again? I pushed the RAM in till they snapped in place. I dont know how I couldve done it wrong?

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Check you haven't nudged any power cables or heatsinks when installing the RAM. Try powering on the system using only one of the two original sticks. If that doesn't work, try the other original.