1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to build a really good "audio" PC

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Ray76, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Ray76

Ray76 Member

So, I do a lot of taping concerts and such, do a lot of tracking and seeding of flacs and shns on bit torrent sites. I will maybe do some mixing of my own music(im in a bluegrass band) , but primarily I will be downloading and uploading torrents, and storing music files, and playin em back.....I want this PC to be able to BLAZE thru applications, want to do all the normal PC stuff like internet surfing, email, etc, and maybe play the odd game or two(im def not a pc game enthusiast) This will primarily be my audio pc with all the normal pc uses as well....So I know I want thses things:\
    AMD Processor(fast as you can get with my budget)
    DVD r rw + and -
    CD R/RW
    at least 200-300 g hard drive
    at least 1or 2 g ram(whatever the fastest ram is)
    and the rest is up to you. MY budget is 1500 for the tower only, so that should build a pretty ok system, yeah??Need reccommendations for parts, exact model numbers/brand name and cost. I will be building myself....Once again my budget is 1500, and this will primarily be my audio PC with all the normal pc uses and the odd game or two.....Will be purchasing from newegg, more than likely...Thanks so much.
    Ray

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I just built a new server for UNDER $1300. For doing what you want, it would be lighting fast.

specs:

from unitedmicro.com:

ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe Motherboard
    3.0G Pentium 4 Prescott

from tigerdirect.com:

1GB (512MB X 2) Dual Channel DDR400 Ram
    200GB WD 7200 RPM 8MB HD
    Chaintek GeForce 5700 256MB DDR AGP DVI Graphics Card
    Microsoft wireless kb/mouse combo
    17" Nec Monitor
    Black Case w/ 500 watt powersupply
    WinXP Pro full SP2

About audio, I have been into audio for about 8 years now. I teach audio production at a college in LA. For regular playback, a SB Audigy or Audigy 2 card is sufficient. If you want to get into recording, as you said you will, do yourself a favor and invest $500 in Pro Tools. The consumer audio cards don't come close to comparing to the professional recording systems. For $500, you get a USB1.1 powered MBOX with 2 channels in/out 48K 24bit balanced audio with SPDIF, alond with Pro Tools LE 6.4. Pro Tools has been the industry standard in the recording industry and tv/movie industry for years. The consumer PC audio cards are decent for playback, but their record quality is much lower than their playback. Just a suggestion. But beleive me, for the price, its a bargain.