1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to buy a new computer (advice)

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by JOHNSTARR, Mar 4, 2008.

1. JOHNSTARR

JOHNSTARR Regular member

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If you're spending as much as $2000, you will get thoroughly ripped off by pretty much every company there is out there. Building your own PC is not hard, and is thoroughly recommended. For low budget builds there's some merit to buying from prebuild companies, but at that level, you're wasting as much as $600 on them building the system for you, which is a lot to stomach. Most of the time companies like Cyberpower use poor quality parts, but due to the elegant cases they choose you wouldn't necessarily notice.
    The Graphics cards in that $2200 Cybertron PC is only worth $150, and that's the most important part of a gaming PC. They also use RAID0 for the hard disks, which is a big nono.

3. silk42

silk42 Regular member

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

XPS Machines are certainly among the better options, but you will get mercilessly fleeced. It takes more than 50% more to buy an XPS than to build a PC of similar spec yourself.

5. silk42

silk42 Regular member

While I agree that you can build your own computer for less money, you're not really comparing apples to apples. For example, I quickly searched for comparable parts to Dells XPS 720 ($1999).

Video Card - $200 (TigerDirect)
    Processor - $250 (Newegg)
    OS - $125 (Buy.com)
    RAM - $120 (Newegg.com)
    HD - $145 (Newegg.com)
    DVD Burner - $30 (Newegg.com)
    Monitor - $339 (Dell)
    Audio - $80 (creative.com)
    USB Keyboard & Mouse - $10 (didn't check, but $10 is being generous)
    Speakers - $15 (didn't check, but very generous)
    Motherboard - $100 (didn't check, but very generous for Intel motherboard)
    Power Supply - $80 (didn't check, but very generous)
    Case - $70 (didn't check, but very generous compared to an XPS case)

I didn't want to waste a lot of time searching, but I think my prices are extremely generous. Yes, you can find cheaper parts, but I matched part for part where I can (CPU, Videocard, Soundcard, Monitor, Hard drive). Anyway, the cost of my parts are just under $1600. That doesn't include shipping or tax, but neither does the Dell price. While it is possible to build a very similar machine for less, it's definitely not 1/2 the price.

I'm not trying to start anything here (who's better, cheaper, etc...). I simply want readers to understand that they are paying a small premium when they buy a pre-built computer, but it's not like they're getting totally ripped off. The small premium in this case may be worth not having to put the computer together and only having one number to call for problems. Plus, everything matches nicely, such as the keyboard, mouse, monitor, and case. There's some other included software (anti-virus, MS works, etc...), but I didn't place any value on it. Finally, from time to time, Dell offers instant savings and free shipping, which may or may not be the case for the item I just quoted, as I wasn't looking to add it to my shopping cart).

Finally, before anyone asks, I don't work for Dell. I simply used them in my example. I could have probably referred the user to a gaming computer from HP (voodoo and blackbird), but I didn't.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

7. silk42

silk42 Regular member

I've only bought Dell equipment from Dell, thus the price comes straight from their website (link here). I'm in the US, so I can't speak for the cost in other countries.

Also, not to be picky, but I think most of my prices were for OEM parts, thus you'd also have to add a CPU cooler and SATA cables for DVD and hard drive. I realize these things are minor, but they are part of the pains that everyday people run across when trying to build their own computers. Most technology people like myself have all kinds of spare parts sitting on shelves.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Q6600 CPU Retail: $255
    Cheap SKT775 Motherboard: $96 (Dell don't use real high end ones)
    3GB Corsair PC6400 (better than what will be in the Dell): $90
    500GB Seagate: $105
    16x DVD Burner: $22
    2208WFP Monitor: $299
    X-Fi Sound card: $69
    8800GT: $223
    USB Keyboard/Mouse: $15
    MS works, Cheap speakers & Internet security: $100
    Windows XP OEM $90

$1364 minus the case, but without any of the rebates you can get from newegg. The case for the XPS is impractically gigantic, and you can get yourself a decent case and power supply for around the $120 mark. That's still a saving of over $500 on the basic two grand system.

$500 is a lot of money.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

If you want a good gaming computer for 2gradn then wait about 2 more weeks for the Q9450 to become available. Then you can build yourself a beast of a computer.

Building your own these days is VERY simple, plus you get a sense of accomplishment.

10. silk42

silk42 Regular member

I would like to know where you're getting your hard drive at that price. I'd love to be able to buy a Seagate 500 GB SATA with 32 MB cache for $105. Like I said, I matched part for part where I could. I did find one cheaper at tigerdiret though (link here). Here's the link from my original price from Newegg. It's unusual for newegg to be so much more expensive. As for the OS, again, I matched where possible and the Dell comes with Media Center 2005 (link here).

Unless you are able to buy everything exactly the same as Dell, you'll never be able to compare apples to apples. I'm not arguing that someone can build a similar computer for less. I'm just trying to point out that if you were able to buy all the exact same parts as Dell and put it together yourself, you wouldn't save much money as opposed to having Dell perform the assembly for you. In fact, if you come across an instant price cut or free shipping, it may even be cheaper. For someone that can't build their own computer, which is the case for this poster, then purchasing an XPS for gaming isn't that bad of a deal. Also, there's something to be said about having a warranty that covers the entire computer, as opposed to having an individual warranty for each part. You or I may have no problem sending in a bad stick of RAM, but for someone that doesn't work on computers, it's a big deal. They have to pay a support tech to find out that it's bad in the first place and then they have to pay them again to install the part after the replacement part arrives a few weeks later. You can go whatever route you choose, but for non-technical friends and family, I usually recommend an OEM computer as opposed to a custom built computer. For myself, I've always built my own computers.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148288
    My bad, didn't spot the 32MB cache part, although that's only an extra $15. I disagree entirely about your comment about PCs being cheaper from Dell unless they're bottom line budget systems, it's just not true. Warranties are nice to have, but you get those with all the components you buy, and if one breaks, having built the PC yourself, you can replace it easily. Extended warranties, while nice, cost an absolute fortune.

Dell are one of the better companies to go with when getting a premade system, but even so, are they worth the expense?

12. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

of course not, you can too buy a cheap and good computer, for me it's far more safer than buying a premade ones, you never know if the components are 2nd hand or not

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Silk, yes that's true you can't do a part for part comparison with dell. That's because the parts I will use in MY builds will be HIGHER quality and cheaper.

Honestly, put up ANY xps machine up here and I will prove to you it can be done cheaper. Anyway how hard is it to replace RAM? You just stick it in.

14. silk42

silk42 Regular member

I'm trying to answer the original poster's question.

I'm not arguing whether or not someone can build a cheaper computer. The original poster stated that he didn't want to build it himself, and instead of having him buy it from the sites he listed, I offered what I believe to be a better system for the same price.

From the remarks that I've read about my suggestions, it's obvious that everyone doesn't agree with me. I would recommend that one of the posters offer to buy all the parts, build it for JOHNSTARR and ship it to him. If he has any warranty issues, then he can let you deal with it. Since we're trying to match as closely as possible, you need to match Dell's warranty.

"Warranty & Service 1Yr In-Home Service, Parts + Labor, 24x7 Phone Support"

Let's hope you don't get any calls, or you just lost all of your profit.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sounds like a reasonable plan, most people in here are capable of that. I live in the UK so it's not a possibility for me I'm afraid, but I'd be happy to do so if I had the option. I'm building my cousin a PC this weekend in fact.
    Bear in mind though Silk, loads of cases where people have wanted a prebuild, we've convinced them otherwise, and they've come out of it with a successful PC build. It doesn't always happen, but you can understand why we'd want to push that. Until JOHNSTARR posts again we don't know what he'll want to consider doing.

16. silk42

silk42 Regular member

I have no doubt that many of us can offer to build JOHNSTARR a computer, but how many people are willing to offer the support? I know I won't answer calls 24/7 and I'm definitely not going to travel to his house. In fact, depending on a person's experience, I might even recommend they pay the extra $105 for a 3 year warranty. One call will make it worth it for most people.

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Hell if he wants me to do it I'll provide him with the support for one year.

As long you use quality components computer just don't mess up like that.

18. JOHNSTARR

JOHNSTARR Regular member

I must have been extremely tired last night, typed out an extensive post, hit preview instead of post reply so I apologize for no response.

After a couple of days of debating I feel it's in my best interests to build my own computer. I'm very good at resourcing online for the most part so i should have no problems following tuts as soon as I buy my starting parts.

abuzar1 stated that I should wait till the Q9450 becomes available. Is this ultimately the processor I should be getting? It seems to be the right price at approx. 360$ on 3/24/2008.

@all

I appreciate everyones effort thus far and thanks silk for the dell suggestion with the XPS which is the better alternative than my original post.

19. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

so are you building your own computer?

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

John, the Q9450 will only cost you around 320. Take my word for this though, even though the release date is March 15 start looking earlier. The INSTANT you see one for sale, BUY IT. They will sell like hotcakes.

I would just get that and SLI 8800GTs. Or you could Corssfire two 3870X2s for FOUR GPUs.