1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to buy a new computer (advice)

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by JOHNSTARR, Mar 4, 2008.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Q9450 is a fabulous CPU and I encourage you to try and find one. That's not going to be an easy task though, I can tell you.
    What sort of things are you using the PC for?

2. JOHNSTARR

JOHNSTARR Regular member

So where are the usual hot spots other than tiger direct or new egg which I have bought many things from in the past where i might get the best deal on the Q9450?

I use computers mostly for gaming, video compression and daily internet but I don't want to be limited if I pick up any new tasks that require a fast computer.

I'm going to look into the SLI 8800GT as well so thanks for that suggestion.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

For gaming, go with a pair of 9600GT cards in SLI. They're not as expensive as the 8800GTs. They're a wee bit slower on their own, but they run SLI much better than the 8800s.

4. NFSking

NFSking Regular member

Hey men if you wanna buy a PC go alienware, They are the best out of all. If you wanna build a PC we can help. But if you not going to be gaming you dont need a expensive PC. But, right now alienware is the best from ALL PC's. Let me know if the PC you want is for gaming or just to use and I will be happy to help you out.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'd sooner a Dell XPS than Alienware really, they're only double the price of building a PC yourself rather than three times like Alienware...

6. NFSking

NFSking Regular member

Well ok ppl have different likings, so i like alienware, they know what they doing, dell is not a gaming machine maker, more of a office machine maker, so that why i like alienware.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Just because Dell primarily make desk machines doesn't mean that's all they're good at. Their widescreen monitors are the choice of many a gamer, and because of their general higher standard of workmanship than most companies I'd pick them over Cyberpower, Ibuypower etc. any day. The only trouble is the case they use is absolutely vast and very impractical for most people, not that the Alienware is any different in that department of course. It's difficult enough to justify a huge sum of money to have a company build a gaming system for you as it is, let alone when that figure's teicer as much as anyone else charges.

8. silk42

silk42 Regular member

Actually, Dell owns Alienware. They purchased them almost 2 years ago. You can read the article here.

In my opinion, the XPS line has continued to improve since the purchase. I don't know if Dell will ever phase out Alienware, but for now they continue to run their own line.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed. They're obviously catering to different crowds or they wouldn't both still exist. I suppose people who are still willing to pay out the extra dollars for nowt are what are keeping the franchise alive.

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah I would take a XPS over Alienware too. Better looking in my opinion.

John, did you build your computer?

11. JOHNSTARR

JOHNSTARR Regular member

I was waiting for the Q9450 to become available based on your suggestion. I've been reading up on mother boards/cases/video cards and only thing that I've decided on is

EVGA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB PCIe 2.0
    EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Video Card - 512MB DDR3, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, Video Card
    Only $199.99 after rebate*

If this isn't the one I should buy please let me know and if you or anyone have a suggestion on a cool looking case and mother board with a link to where I can get it at a great price, I would appreciate it.

-Thanks all

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

13. redZoneOS

redZoneOS Regular member

personally I'd rather get the Radeon HD3870x2 with the price range OP reported... they can be upgraded in the future for Xfire goodness. (or even two HD3870s)

Also if you're waiting for that processor anyway, might as well go with an X48 motherboard which should be out soon as well (but if they come out with DDR3 only, they may not be worth it, in which case X38 is the better option).

if you're going to stick with nvidia though, then I'm not sure... not an ATI fanboy, but I just don't have any personal experience with nvidia cards... I agree with someone that said to SLI 2 9600gt's though instead of the 8800gt (or once again, if you're waiting till the end of the month anyway, I think the 9800gt may be out???)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah but that depends on how well Crossfire works, and it's not looking too great right now.

Two 9600GT would be the best idea, because if you have 2 3870X@ and that game doesn't have crossfire, then you paid for FOUR 3870s and got only the power of ONE.

15. silk42

silk42 Regular member

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Even so though, it's only a $1000 PC, for $1799...

17. silk42

silk42 Regular member

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Avoid, that's a linger-on from the first batch of 8800GT cards with the crummy cooler that couldn't keep up. That's a guaranteed overheat-and-crash situation right there. I'm amazed there are still any of those around.
    [​IMG]
    This is what the new cooler looks like compared to the old one.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  19. silk42

silk42 Regular member

I've never bought this brand before (KFA2), but the reviews said that the picture isn't accurate. I assume it's simply an older picture.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well in many cases I've bought something and the product been different from the picture, but in all cases that's been detrimental to my cause, not beneficial. It sounds risky to me.