1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to make a backup of a dvd i already own, to dvd how do i do it

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by swenyb, Aug 14, 2004.

1. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Yeah thats a fairly new thing [the bundle deals] ... there was always a clearance corner anyway
    I've made use of the deal where I got 50 DVD cases added for about 6p - 8p each when buying 50 Ritek G04s - lol
    And also where I got 100 plastic envelopes for about 99p when buying 100 CD-Rs , it all adds up to be very promising for 'us' [the consumer] :)

2. swenyb

swenyb Regular member

Yep, the ideal company really lol

3. swenyb

swenyb Regular member

Hi guys im back after followin almost every guide available and wasting alot of blank dvds, i have made a backup that will play on my dvd player but not anything else, has anyone made a backup that works on a Ps2, Dvd player, Pc and anything else that will play dvds, if so what way did you go about it im willing to try anthing that works but it must play on all things that plays dvd-rs if this is possible

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Since I only have PS2, I can only answer for that. My backups play on all my players, my PC, and my PS2. I have Sony, Mitsibishi,Philips, Sanyo, Onkyo, etc. All of these players with the exception of one were purchased in the last 18 months.

The DVD backups were made by various softwares-IC 8, DVDCopy 2, RB/CCE, Nero, Shrink, Decrypter,CloneDVD2, DVD2One, etc., etc., etc.

In other words all the apps should work the same. Usually player compatibility determines what plays, but the newer players can play everything, and they are really inexpensive.

You might want to check this out for compatibility:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

Good luck...

Hey herbsman- I like the new logo-heh heh

5. swenyb

swenyb Regular member

so your backups worked on a ps2 and pc (which are the ones im mainly concerned about) by using say shrink and nero, if so im not understanding why mine dont work on my Pc or Ps2, im about to smash my burner, Pc, and Ps2, why wont it work!!!!!
    do you think my medias screwing it up or maybe im doing something wrong, im just beginning to give up
    any help would be great

6. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

The only way I feel to get this truly sorted now if for you to describe what method(s) exactly you have used to burn DVD-Video.
    Be as indepth as possible & you may find that people see what is wrong in the method chosen ... but as BigOrange quite rightly stated that any or most software choices taken to do a DVD back up 'should' work. I have back ups that play on everything that have been done using Shrink , DVD2One etc etc.
    I use Ritek G04 & back ups are played on my PS2 v9 or Sony DVP-NS305 [they of course play on the PC DVD-Rom drive or before burning will play in Power DVD].

Keep your patience mate & Im sure you'll soon be burning fairly error free...

[bold]HERBS[/bold]

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

swenyb,

I don't see how you're doing anything wrong. You burned a disc and it playes in a DVD Player.

A question, I thought I read somewhere that Play station mfg (Sony) didn't recommend playing DVD's on their unit.

I know everyone does it but why does Sony say not too?

As your PC is burning the DVD correctly, another query, Are you burning -R media OR +R ?

"P"

8. swenyb

swenyb Regular member

im burning -r, this is what i mean its confusin the hell out of me, if it plays perfectly fine on my dvd player why not play fine on my PC, i mean Ps2' werent designed for playing dvds but i would at least expect my Pc to.
    The other day i was sold an illegal copy dvd over ebay, (i obviously didnt know it was a copy wen i bidded on it) i put it in my ps2 it worked fine i put it in my Pc it worked fine, why dont my copies work fine

9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Illegal copies are still stamped, not burned, so they are going to play in any player. Burned DVD's are an entirely different matter.

Since I'm not there I can't say for sure why you can't get it to play in your PC or PS2, but at least it plays in your player. It could be in the way you're editing or reauthoring, but since I don't know your method I couldn't say for sure.

10. swenyb

swenyb Regular member

stamped?

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Sorry but I should have added that if you were burning +R media - that might explain why it wasn't playing. I've heard that -R is the way to go with DVD's for your PS2.

Cheers,

Pete

12. bigorange

bigorange Active member

swenyb, factory made DVD's are stamped out, not burned. Even your illegal copies from oversea countries(like Taiwan,etc.) are also stamped out. These discs will play in all the players.

The R,RW,+,-, are formats for burning DVD's. That's when you get into player compatibility issues. Altho the newer players will handle all formats for the most part, as my friend Pete likes to say-they'll play a meduim cheese pizza- the older players were not that way and the format you used to burn had to match your player's format.

Plus the new ones are really inexpensive, it would behoove a fellow to buy a new player if he has not already done so. I just bought the new Philips 642 for 65.00 at WalMart- besides handy features like zoom, etc. it handles all formats including Divx and mpeg.

Whew! that's a lot of answer for just the word "stamped", lol, I hope this helps.

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

You go there "Big" Guy, you go -

(Heh, Heh)

14. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Hey buddy, how are ya doing? still helping the masses I see. Hope all is well.

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Yep, all is well my friend,thanks for asking :)