1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to play DVD-Audio on my computer and Reciver.

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by Commissar, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Commissar

Commissar Member

Well, the subject says it all.

So I’m thinking about getting a new soundcard for my computer. I want to test some of the potential of the DVD-A format, and I’m not keen on buying a new DVD player and amplifier just yet.

As far as I know, there is only one soundcard out there, that can play DVD-A, the Audigy 2. (I sense that Creative isn’t to popular in these circles at the moment :))

This is where I’m lost.

1.I know that you only can playback through your analogue output.

2.I know Windvd can play DVD-A, without the audigy 2 card.

So what is so special about the Creative card being able to playback DVD-A? Further more, what is this resampling back to 48 khz issue. Creative says their card is 192 khz, so it cant resample everything to 48 khz? Or can they ;)

I was thinking of buying a, TerraTec SoundSystem Aureon 7.1 Space, or an Audigy card. What should I go for? I play games and listen to music, playback only.

And lastly, is all digital output out of the question when it comes to DVD-A? I could live with a 2ch 96/24 PCM output signal.

Can anyone help me out?

Thx

2. sayersc

sayersc Member

I have a Prodigy 7.1 (Wolfson Codecs)and am very happy so far(music only) and movies from my computer to TV. I am slowly gathering everything to build a HTPC and I don't like buying new consumer equiptment everytime a new technology comes out. The PC can handle everything.

WinDVD with DVD-Audio Pack will let you experiment with DVD-A at 16/48 unless you have the Audigy2. I don't know if Audigy will unlock WinDVD past 24/96 as I think that is the maximum output of WinDVD(I could be wrong). I think however the Creative Software DVD-A player will allow full 24/192 playback. When playing a DVD-A in any hardware or software player,I think the digital out is turned off or outputs at a maximum of 16/48. What we need is a skilled software engineer to figure out how to output the signal digitally in full resolution at the SPDIF. I would assume that all 24/192 cards will eventually be offered with an add-on DVD-A player for a small fee to cover licencing issues as long as they adhere to the digital playback restrictions.

Hope that is some help. My guess is that 2004 is the year dvd-a gets some serious notice.

3. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Basically, you cannot get 6 channes of 24/96 down a digital line. It just isn't possible. This is why on DVD-A players, you need to hook up to a 6 channe analogue input on the AV amp, and you use the DAC in the player to do the conversions.

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Make sure the amp has 24/96 available, many do not - more modern ones do...

5. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

A very good point!
    Better still, check for 192KHz as a lot of DVDA is at 24/192 stereo.

6. FreeMrkt

FreeMrkt Member

Commissar:

I have the external sound card, audigy 2 nx, which can play dvd-audio's. WinDVD 5 and 6 can play dvd-audio's. I am using WinDVD 6 platinum. The optical output can put out stereo dvd-audio up to 24/96. That is how i have it set up for now. I purchased some wires made for sound cards that seperates the 3 stereo outputs into their respective lefts and rights so I can plug it into the external decoder of my receiver. Basically they are spliters, splitting 3 wires that each carry 2 channels in them to 6 wires that carry their 1 channel. This and USB 2.0 will allow for 5.1 24/96 playback on a receiver from the pc.

I think the audigy 2 nx is an awesome sound card. It comes with a somewhat useless remote unless you use the media-center software that comes with the card. there is nothing wrong with 24/96, dolby digital, dts, 102 snr, thx certified creative sound cards, even if they are not popular on "these circles". I picked mine up at compusa for 60 bucks luckily but i think you can find em for about 80 still.

Hope this helps