1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I would like to stop making coasters

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by vanillam, Feb 7, 2005.

1. vanillam

vanillam Guest

First I owe you an apology, becaues I've already posted my question BUT as I could not find it among the threads so I posted again. I'm Sorry.

Since I am using my new computer with a BENQ 16+/- Dual burner, and buring on Maxwell DVD-R 8x (genuin, checked)I could not make any backups. Printed out and read the manuals and visited the suggested websites, searched the threads here.
    Method: DVD Decrypter-Shrink 3.2 - Nero

I've made backups with my old computer wich has a NEC 4+/- dual DVD burner, burned on Memorex DVD+R 4x, although I could use just 2.4 speed.

Have Mcaffe, Spybot, Spyblaster.

I am stuck, I would appriciate very much your help.
    :)0 HELP!

Vanilla Newbie

2. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

Hi Vanilla--
    Exactly what problem are you having? All we know is:

Method: DVD Decrypter-Shrink 3.2 - Nero

This is a standard method, but where are you having the problem? Specifically---Is it a particular Title or any DVD?

Whitfield

3. vanillam

vanillam Guest

Hi Whitfield
    Thanks for the question. I go through the whole backup process without getting any error messages. But I cannot play it on my DVD player. Not what I make on my new computer.
    Thanks again
    Vanilla

4. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

Not all stand alone DVD players will play burned DVD's--Most of the newer players will play any type--try them in a friends DVD player just to make sure they work--(Or do what I did and buy a cheap DVD player--less than $35)

5. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

Can you play them on your computer?

6. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

use +r and change the booktype to dvd-rom.
    (there is a selection in nero menu before you start to burn)
    That should fix if if its a compatibility problem.

Also your other post was closed because you posted it in the wrong forum :(

But no worries i got a feeling that should fix your problem

Last edited: Feb 7, 2005
  7. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

8. vanillam

vanillam Guest

Thanks to everybody for helping me.
    I did not try on my computer. I always try on my DVD player, with the old computer-setup was able to play it. The problem is that it took 3 hours to back up a movie. Now I can make a coaster in less than 30 minutes LOL.

Q to Whitfield: The cheap player was used or a new one?

Q to Jizek:

Could do you explain it for me why DVD+ would work better?
    (gen. Maxwell DVD-R very cheap at Wallmart)
    I've chosen DVD ROM in Nero.

Thanks again.
    Vanilla Newbie

9. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

vanillam--
    Yeah, you can get NEW DVD players for less than $40 at Circuit City and many other retailers--they will likely all play burned DVD's. Also + media seems to be more compatible--at least that has been my experience. Good Luck

10. vanillam

vanillam Guest

Hi Whitfield
    Thanks from a real Newbie
    Vanilla

11. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey vanillam, I believe i got the same burner as you, Benq 1620. Did you try burningthose maxell -8x at 4x?

Do like jizmak said, + only. I just ran into my first stand alone player that would not play - format "sherwood". I re-ripped it to a + and they play on that sherwood.I have no trouble using maxell +4x media,ricohjpn-01.

It would be a lot cheaper to try a batch of the +4x maxell's before you got another dvd player.You can usually find them on sale for $10 for 25 discs.

What happened to your nec 4x + burner? It's a fine burner,my dad has one and one of my buddies has one.

12. vanillam

vanillam Guest

Hi Saugmon
    I will definetly buy +. I still have the NEC 4+/- dual burner on my old computer. I takes 3 hours or more to burn a backup. I have to reformat its hard drive then I could use it again.
    Thanks a bunch.
    Vanilla the real Newbie

13. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey v, It's always handy to have a backup pc with a burner.

I just used my backup pc "498 mhz"256 mbs of ram, and burned an entire b-movie in under 30 mins.It was only 4 gigs big.Not too bad.

Good Luck and burn on!!

14. vanillam

vanillam Guest

Hi S,
    30 min. is excellent.
    Good news: I bought Memorex 8x DVD[bold]+[bold]R
    It works beautifully, (I did just 4x though)Still using Decrypter-Shirnk-Nero combination went through a little under 30 minutes.

[bold]I thank everybody[bolnd]who contributed to educate me thanks for your patience as well.
    Vanilla the Real Newbie

15. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Yo v, great to hear you are burning. Since you are using memorex +8x,be cautious later on down the road. There are 2 manufacturers of these discs. Prodiscs which are pretty good and Philips-which may not be.Lets hope you got the prodiscs, Burn on buddy

16. vanillam

vanillam Guest

Hi S,
    I checked it. It is manufactured by CMC Magnetics Corporation. ? Would it be a good thing or a bad thing?
    Vanilla the Real Newbie

17. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey vanillam, cmags are not recommended here. The + cmags seem to be a heck of a lot better than the dash cmags. Keep that burn speed slow.We got some pretty good burners,thats always a plus.Their life span is also said to be very short,6 months on some of them.

At the first sign of any problems,those memorex cmags should be your first thing you check on.

Later

18. vanillam

vanillam Guest

Hi Saugmon,
    It sounds like a double lemon. It seems unfair that eventhough there is a so-called brand name, it does not really matter. Is there anything on the package to inform customers who manufactured it or the DVD Identifier is the only way to know it for sure.
    Thanks
    Vanilla the Real Newbie

19. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

The main thing I look for in all my media is: MADE in JAPAN ! That is if I buy in a local store.You have sony,tdk,fuji,and good old reliable maxell.

Made in Taiwan: some are very good,ritek-ricohjpn-mitsubishi mcc-002. You also have sony,fuji,tdk,and maxell.Then you get the ones that totally suck a** like cmc-magnetics.

Made anywhere else: Avoid them like the plague.

Buying on the web? It can be trickier. Anything with the brand name of Ty Yuden is great,not a generic brand saying they are ty's. Verbatim Media Life Plus.Not the verbatim media life,they are decent-but made in taiwan.Ritek are also very good and have overall pretty good manufacturers.

See how confusing this can be,that's why I always refer members to maxell.Once you figure out what performs good for you then stick with them and also in the same quantity packaging.It can get really confusing when you change to different quantity batches,lol.Memorex is famous for using for example: dvd-4x,the 5,10,25,50,etc are made by a lot of different manufacturers, They outsource their media to whoever wants to make them.

Even those idiots at the stores don't know anything.I had one salesman asking me how to burn. Just look for made in japan, not subsidiary of mitsubishi or headquarters for japan.

I like hanging out in the AD dvd-r media forum, always someone their telling you where the good stuff is on sale and where at.Look at the very first thread,it lists most of the manufacturers for most media. Really check out all the manufacturers for memorex.

20. vanillam

vanillam Guest

Hi S,
    What a caos rooted in greed. :(
    Just becuase the rich want to be richer.

Ty Yuden sounds like a good choice.

Thanks again.

Vanilla the Real Newbie