1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ibm t43 windows xp pro

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by deiseman, Jan 30, 2012.

1. deiseman

deiseman Member

i have an ibm t43,i was deleteing stuff and i most have deleted loads of the software from it .it asked on openeing to add comctll32 something ,i cant log in anyway and running out of options i downloaded the file from microsoft and it took the file from the key but then asked for another file at my wits end here now ,should i just bin dont have backup disks any advice welcome

2. aldan

aldan Active member

do you have the recovery console enabled?will it go into safemode for a system restore?

3. GryphB

GryphB Regular member

4. deiseman

deiseman Member

it will go to safe mode after i press f4 whats the next step then

5. aldan

aldan Active member

try this.

To access the System Restore Wizard, click Start, and then click Help and Support. Click Performance and Maintenance, click Using System Restore to undo changes, and then click Run the System Restore Wizard.
    While the computer is in safe mode, System Restore does not create any restore points. Therefore, you cannot undo a restoration that you performed when the computer was in safe mode.
    You can use System Restore to restore your computer to any restore point while in safe mode. If you cannot start the computer in standard mode, you can use System Restore to restore to a time when you could start the computer without errors.
    To restore to a time when your computer started without errors, select a restore point as close to the time you remember it last started without errors.
    If System Restore is suspended because of insufficient disk space, you cannot enable it by making more disk space available while in safe mode. You must restart the computer in standard mode and make more disk space available.

6. deiseman

deiseman Member

the windows xp screen comes up and it just stays on that forever,then it says the application failed to start because comctl32.dll was not fouind.reinstalling this appilcation may fix this problem ??any ideas.its a thinkpad t43 ibm

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  7. deiseman

deiseman Member

i cant get into that menu it only shows the microsoft windows xp and it wont go any further

8. deiseman

deiseman Member

9. aldan

aldan Active member

if i understood correctly you have gotten the computer to boot into safe mode?if so then the instructions i have posted to access system restore still stand.

10. deiseman

deiseman Member

when in safe mode it just goes back and says u need comctll32 installed ,and ive tried to install that with no success thanks

11. aldan

aldan Active member

do you have a recovery console enabled?you will lose what you have on the disk when you restore factory settings but i think this might be your only option.if you dont have a recovery console you might have to lay your hands on a disk and use your serial key.