1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IDE and DMA

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jtigerr, Apr 4, 2005.

1. jtigerr

jtigerr Member

Hi I hope someone can help me.

I have burned many dvd's using DVD shrink at 4x then for no reason DVD Shrink changed the burn speed to 2x (4x was not available anymore) now it is 1x

I checked the IDE for the Primary: Device 0(Ultra DMA 5)
    Device 1 says (not applicable)
    The Secondary: Device 0 (ultra DMA 2)
    Device 1 (PIO Mode)

I don't know what any of this means, what is the primary and what is the secondary and the device 0 and 1 is also confusing. I read that i should uninstall the IDE but I don't know if that will screw up my computer.

Please HELP

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

If your Secondary device 1 is your burner then that is why it won't let you write at x4 anymore because it is stuck in PIO mode. Just go into your device manager and delete your IDE controllers and restart your system windows will install the drives and hopefully load them as DMA. :)
    http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/DMA.html

3. jtigerr

jtigerr Member

Is there any way this can scew up my computer? I don't know enough about computers to fix it if something goes wrong.

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

No... Just delete and reboot :)

5. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

jtigerr

bbmayo has a 60% success rate with that link. The other 40% just decided to purchase a new PC after it didn't work. Hey, 60% is better then 50/50!!!

Just kidding, this is a normal procedure to re-install DMA back the way it should be.

6. jtigerr

jtigerr Member

ScubaBud
    Thank god I uninstalled the IDE before I got your message otherwise i would have been scared off.

So I did it and it changed the IDE to Ultra DMA mode 2 but DVD Shrink still will only let me burn at Max or 1x do you have any other ideas on how I can fix this. I already uninstalled and reinstalled nero and DVD Shrink still no fix.

7. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

What media are you using? That is usually what DVD Shrink uses to determine write speed.

8. jtigerr

jtigerr Member

I'm using TDk 4x but I haven't put it in the burner yet.......

Well I just put a disk in thinking I'm really dumb but it didn't help much, now I'm back up to 2x

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You could try updating the firmware to your DVD drive. Just make sure you get the one that goes to your drive or you really could screw up your drive..

It's not hard to do though just go to the drive manufacturer's website and download the newest firmware for your drive and install it.

Scuba,
    Just to let you know its up to 61.5% now.. LOL

10. jtigerr

jtigerr Member

Thank you I'll try that tomorrow.

Please check back to see if I made my computer blow up or if I fixed the problem.

Thanks again you've been a huge help.

11. jtigerr

jtigerr Member

ok so I updated my firmware and the computer didn't explode but it didn't help my write speed either.

If I copied a DVD to the hard drive, with the computer still using 2x and now I am tring to copy from the hard drive to a blank disk could that be the reason it is still saying max and 2x?

12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

No,

You could try hooking your DVD Writer up to your primary IDE channel along with your Hard drive. Just make sure to set it as slave.

13. jtigerr

jtigerr Member

I don't understand I burned many disks at 4x then it changed and I didn't change anything on my computer,
    is it possable that I hit a bad patch in my package of disks?

I will try to change the drive to the primary, do you know of a guide to doing this?

Thanks for all your help.