1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IDE and SATA together help plz

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by lazytitan, Jun 18, 2007.

1. lazytitan

lazytitan Regular member

Bought me a Sata HD the other day and i have had an IDE hard drive for sometime now. well i tried to install my SATA HD along with the IDE that was already in. needless to say i cant get the computer to show up. have heard that IDE and SATA dont run well to gether but that it is possiable. so little help plz...

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

in the bios if the ide is still to be boot drive then check that it is still boot drtive & not the sata drive.

3. Puffy_1

Puffy_1 Member

Which is the one with the OS on?

4. lazytitan

lazytitan Regular member

The OS is on IDE but am hoping to get it moved to SATA drive, ill look at my bios when i get home today

5. lazytitan

lazytitan Regular member

So i got into my Bios and IDE is set to master and i cant even detect the sata hd. both sata 1 and 2 say not detected. what do i do know?

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

is your motherboard sata connectors for for sata 1 or sata 3 type hd's? is that hd a sata 1 or sata 3?

7. Puffy_1

Puffy_1 Member

Check if you correctly put the cable in as i forgot to do that and the mobo didnt detect it. So check if the cable is properly in.

8. lazytitan

lazytitan Regular member

So its a HD 320G|ST 7K 16M SATA2 ST3320620AS Seagate, so if that helps. i tried just taking out my IDE HD and just installing the OS on it but i cant even get the HD to work when its alone. There is power to it, it comes on but still nothing. cant detect it so not sure what to do now. Im gonna grab a new cable to connect to the motherboard. but thats all i got left. so hope that helps anyone who can help me.

9. pollution

pollution Regular member

There may be a jumper on the back of the SATA hard drive setting it to 1.5Gbps while your motherboard may be 3.0Gbps. When I bought my Seagate 320GB parallel recording SATA hard drive it was set to 1.5Gbps by jumpers at the back of the drive.

I hope your drive does not run as hot as mine though, its the hottest part of my computer at 97F so I will be adding an additional cooling fan to mine soon. Hard drives are overheating at 104F.

10. lazytitan

lazytitan Regular member

Ya i tried the jumper thing, both did nothing. My mother board is a ASRock 775-Daul 880pro if that helps anyone.

11. pollution

pollution Regular member

Try connecting the SATA cable to the other connection on the motherboard. There should be two cables to the back of the SATA drive, one for power and the other one connected to motherboard. You probably already knew that though.

12. pollution

pollution Regular member

13. lazytitan

lazytitan Regular member

Ya tried both connectoins and set the jumper to 1.5 and 3g and still nothing.

14. Puffy_1

Puffy_1 Member

Did you connect your SATA Hard Drive to SATA 1. The jumpers dont really matter. Have you set the bios so that the SATA hard drive is your primary boot? Oh dwas there any problems with the OS installation?

15. lazytitan

lazytitan Regular member

I pretty sure i set the Sata drive to be primary when i took away the IDE HD, and i also tried SATA 1 one slot and SATA 2. ya there was a problem when trying to install the OS on it. it said there are no harddives to install it on basically. cant remember it word for word but ya...

16. pollution

pollution Regular member

Can you hear the hard drive spinning when you power on the computer?

17. Puffy_1

Puffy_1 Member

But did you finally get it to install on the SATA ?

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Try using a different S-ATA cable with the drive. They go wrong more often than you might think. If that also fails, the circuitry on the drive may be defective and you'll need to replace it. Are you able to try any other S-ATA hard drives with your PC?
    97F is very cool for a hard drive, 105F is about normal for a standard PC. My hard drives are quite happy operating at 121F. Believe it or not, hard drives last longer at 120F than they do at 95F, since the "warming up machinery" effect still applies to them!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2007
  19. pollution

pollution Regular member

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What do you define by an "overheat", it suddenly stopped working? What convinced you it was due to heat?
    . If anything it would be significant variations in temperature (expansion and contraction) to cause premature failure. My hard drives are stable at around 116-124F and they've been fine for the few months they've been in the enclosures. As hard drives get old, they seem to become more sensitive to temperature, but for the first 2 or 3 years, the effect is insignificant - see this study.

http://209.85.163.132/papers/disk_failures.pdf

Last edited: Jun 23, 2007