1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IDE DVD-ROM Problem

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by Infoeater, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Infoeater

Infoeater Member

Hi, I am trying to reformat my computer. I have the windows recovery disc that my manu. sent me, however, when I restart with the disc inserted it does not read the cd, and I don't know of any other way to reformat than that. I don't know why the CD will not read, I have had previous problems with my CD Rom not reading cds in windows mode, but I was able to have the machine detect them by opening windows media player(I don't know why this made a difference). I do not know which drivers I could search for, as I do not know what kind of DVD I have...(I have uninstalled the hardware, and let XP automaticlly install it as someone recommended on another post). Is there anything I can do? I'd like to reformat some how, the fact that I have to open media player to read discs is not my main issue, I'd like all the viruses/spyware that this computer has collected over the years to be deleted. Reformatting seems to be the best way. If you have any thoughts or feedback, they would be most welcome'd.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

3. Xian

Xian Regular member

Did you check the boot order in your bios? In order to boot with the recovery cd you need to make it so that your cd boots first, before the hard drive or floppy.