1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ideas for concealing speaker wire???

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by Globe08, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Globe08

Globe08 Guest

YO, im looking to hook up my surround sound in my apartment and im not allowed to conceal the wires within the wall so i was wondering if there was any other way to hide the wires?should i purchase white speaker wire(or clear) or what have you? I just dont know how to go about it and not have speaker wire sticking out like a sore thumb, looks cheesy that way.My room setup is basic tv is directly in front of me in a 12x10 room, and i have a 5.1 surround sound system, and im using the wall mounts for my bookshelf speakers. Any help on this one would be greatly appreciated, JVC helped me out with the setup...little shout out to JVC haha.

2. byngo

byngo Regular member

assuming all your speakers will be mounted on the wall and not on any stands, I can only suggest you try some white plastic trunking.
    I think screwfix do a low profile self adhesive type.
    Have a think about speaker stands though, could be much neater that way.

3. Globe08

Globe08 Guest

I am mounting them not because i want to but because i have 2 little boys and im afriad if i put the speakers on speaker stands they just continue to know them over since their pretty light(speaker stands). My stepdad suggested white you did which was a kind of trunking to bind the wires together and run them along the wall. i appreciate the advice...you think speaker stands would work with kids???(not being sarcastic)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2007
  4. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

If can afford it, Meridian has powered speakers that do not need speaker cable and are radio signal controlled. To find google Meridian audio products( Meridian is part of Boothroyd Stuart Meridian audio)

5. byngo

byngo Regular member

Well wireless is an option that did'nt spring to mind, but re speaker stands, I guess the kids will only hurt themselves when they knock them over, and they will.

One other option could be to use a quality flat speaker cable, in white (assuming you have white walls) and using fine wire tacks for tacking it up the wall. (perhaps even superglue might work).
    It aint gonna leave much to repair / repaint afterwards is it.

6. Globe08

Globe08 Guest

alrighty appreciate the help, im going to buy some flat white monster cable speaker wire and tack it up(yeh my walls are white) so that should work good. any tips for good speaker wire or does it matter? from what im reading people are raving about monster cables speaker wire and the jump in quality it had, i dont mind spending a little extra on the speaker wire i got a cheap system so the system isnt all that good i didnt have much money at the time. I got an onkyo 5.1 system that was on an internet special from 300 bucks to 249. My apartment isnt that big and my living room is small so im not sure where i want to tuck my sub at but im sure i can stick it under the side table next to my couch. but yeh ne tips on speaker wire or anything else like tricks of the trade as far as where to put the sub???anything im a noob with the audio, when it comes to my knowledge its all about the tv's.

heres the link to the system ive got, im hooking it up to my xbox 360 elite which has hdmi and optical and my tv has hdmi and optical but my reciever has niether only component and digital coax. so im just going to have to use rca adapter for the 360's sound...

model number onk htsr600

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2007
  7. byngo

byngo Regular member

dont forget you can buy optical to co-axial converters. Well, in the Uk you can from a place called Maplins.

8. Globe08

Globe08 Guest

is digital(TOSLINK) fiber optic??? i just checked the specs on my surround sound and it says it has 2 digital(toslink) inputs.

9. david66

david66 Regular member

Toslink is fiber optic

10. Globe08

Globe08 Guest

thanks, im sucha newb i keep just asking question after question but id like to say thanks to all who are helping.would i just run the optic from my 360 to the reciever?

11. byngo

byngo Regular member

yes.
    Check the manual for your receiver. You might have to assign the toslink input to a particular mode, ie:- toslink 1 = DVD and toslink 2 = AUX/CD.
    You might even be able to rename the input mode (aux , CD, SAT) etc to XBOX which would be nice.