1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideas how to develop the forum software further?

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by dRD, Nov 16, 2004.

1. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

It might. Alot of newbies post simple questions in the advanced forum thinking that is where the people with the most knowledge hang out. What they don't realize is our members browse the whole forum.

I've moved so many threads from the advanced to newbies, because they are simple questions. There really aren't that many true advanced questions, but they do come along. Or you could just combine the two and make a DVD-R forum.

2. kinza

kinza Regular member

i think merging the two dvd-r forums is the best choice. some memebers don't know if questions are advanced or not.

3. mryoda

mryoda Member

hm, I have hardly come across a site that uses fusetalk (except MM's forum)...

btw, I agree changing the name for dvd-r forums can help... perhaps putting ADVANCED in caps at the front.. people just see "dvd-r" and dont bother reading all the way to the end..

anyhow good luck with all the upgrades... as for me I've been looking around for a possible solution, and i might give "galleon" forum ( http://www.camdenfamily.com/morpheus/forums/index.cfm ) a try ( hopefully it has some semblance of admin CP ), and add what i need on top... heh..

Last edited: Jan 24, 2005
  4. flip218

The only problem I see with combining the two, when a true advance question comes along I wouldn't want to see it get lost among the many newbie threads.

5. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Thought I might resurrect this thread. Some of the ideas listed here I have finished now. Some are still open. Here's the list that I plan to implement next (not in any particular order):

-"profile" pages for users -- each user nick on forums would link to his/her own profile page, if there's one. This would list: short description by the user, user's homepage (if entered one), gender (if they wish to publish one), birthday (again, based on the user's selection), list of 20 latest threads they've posted to, list of software items they've commented, maybe an optional image and maybe an optional "journal" they can update.

-major changes to the sig system that would allow turning off sig viewing when browsing the forums.

-PM alerts within the forum pages, so the page shows you when you have unread PMs.

-possibly pages next to thread titles in forum_view pages that would allow directly to take you to the page number X if the thread has several pages.

6. flip218

dRD,

When do you think you'll make it so we can check a box to delete certain PMs from our box? It would make clean up sooo much faster :)

7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

That would be awesome. My inbox is becoming gargantuan.

8. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

That what happens when you are such a slut. I hate it when a "Inbox" is gargantuan. ;o)

*Edit* Need to learn to type someday.

Last edited: May 14, 2005
  9. zippyd

zippyd Active member

I'm hoping the same will be applied to the subscribed threads list....?
    I tried cleaning up the list one night as I had never unsubscribed to any threads..... after unsubcribing to 100 threads individually I gave up....lol