1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IDENTIFYING ORIGINAL MANUFACTURER OF CD-R MEDIA!!!

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by totos, Jul 16, 2004.

1. totos

totos Guest

Hi everyone!

I had the idea of us discussing how should the consumer be able to identify who was the manufacturer that made the media he/she bought. Better put, to know this before he/she buys the CD-R media.

Of course, there are some programs that can show the media code of the CD-R, but in most cases that's not enough, what's more it's misleading. This happens because some manufacturers put their own code even if the CD-R is not produced by them, instead it is produced by some other OEM manufacturer that uses the brand code required by their customer. For example some media codes may read "Sony" or "TDK" or "Maxell", even if they are not manufactured by them.

Does any experienced guy can share his optical media knowledge with us? Because media can be identified by packaging info, serial No's on the CD-R ring, dye colour, and other physical charasteristics...

Let's get started ;)

2. mindgod

mindgod Guest

great topic totos!!! I was wondering about that.

This is the code of A TDK CD-R

Manufacturer : Ritek
    Code : 97m15s17f
    Disc Type : CD-R
    Usage : Audio
    Recording Layer : Dye Type 7: Short Strategy (Phthalocyanine)
    Recording Speed : n/a
    Capacity : 79:59.73
    703 MB
    Additional Capacity : n/a
    Overburn Capacity : not tested

Now I am very delighted it is made by Ritek, because Ritek makes good discs... but How CAN I TELL IF it was made by RITEK

on the labels... no ritek at all.

only: made in taiwan and some instructions. so please anyone give us clues.

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

totos

Excellent choice for a new thread and one that can be shared by many, even those of us who've been around for a while.

You're going to recieve some questions as to how to identify media and I thought I'd help you out by giving you a link to an application that does just thant. It does come with something called an advert (it downloads a different onboard banner but that's all) but it is not spyware and it's clean to use.

Hmm! I remember the days of banners before there was "bonzai buddy," Gator, and other crap.

http://www.dvdinfopro.com/
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2004
  4. totos

totos Guest

Hi there!

It's nice that some of you have responded to this thread because I think its a very interesting topic for all of us

Keep posting media info, and also look out for special characteristics on certain batches of media, such as labels, shape of cakebox, etc., and also you could post an image of the packaged media if you see anything special info about them.

(I dont know, is there actually a way of posting images in this thread?).

Also from my experience there are some TDK and Sony media out there, that read TDK and SONY respectively in programs like DVDInfoPro... I wonder if TDK and Sony actually manufactures them now, do they still have manufacturing facilities, or anyone knows an OEM that manufactures for them?

5. mindgod

mindgod Guest

Totos... My Tdk CD-R (audio) are made by RITEK

My TDK DVD+RW are made by Ricoh.

The tdk DVD+RW are horrible, although some (like sophocles) praise Ricoh. How can some Ricoh discs be good while others not?

6. brobear

brobear Guest

A good suggestion on the tool Sophocles, just so they can see what the data looks like, I'll supply a copy. This is the information on a Memorex CD-R manufactured by CMC Magnetics.

Media Information
    Format Capacity 0.01GB(0.01GB)
    Media Type CD-R
    ATIP Start Time of Lead In (Media Code) 97m26s66f
    ATIP Last Possible Start Time of Lead Out 79m59s71f
    Manufacturer Name CMC Magnetics Corporation
    HD-BURN Certified YES
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 16.0x 2400KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 12.0x 1800KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 8.0x 1200KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 600KBps

The DVDInfoPro screen orders the information better. From this you can see the name of the manufacturer is provided, in this case CMC Magnetics Corporation. So, with this tool it is easy to ascertain the manufacturer, after the purchase. Nowhere do I notice listed on the pack or the media the name of the manufacturer.

Here is a list of CD/DVD Identifying Utilities:
    CD Inquery
    CD Protection Detective
    CD Protection Detector
    CD Protection Scout
    CD-Info
    CD/DVD Capabilities Viewer
    CDR Identifier
    CD-R ATIP Reader
    CDVD Info
    CloneCD Database
    ClonyXXL
    Copy Protection Detection
    DISCInfo
    DVD Identifier
    DVDInfoPro
    PC CopyBase
    Perfect Suite
    Protection ID
    Scout Easyscan
    TCCD
    WinXP CD-R/RW Properties
    YaPS

Keep in mind that some CD Brands tend to change from one factory to another on occasion without changing the CD Layout & covers. So, spotting manufacturers according to packaging would be difficult.

7. brobear

brobear Guest

mindgod
    One of the reasons you have some people praising a brand and others having complaints is not always due to the quality of the media. Players and recorders tend to have different abilities reading the various media. Your unit could be better with one particular media than another. Use what works best for you and try to use a quality item.

Below is a list of factories and selling brands. About 95% of the NoName CD-R's are made in CD factories from Arita, Princo, Lead Data, CMC & Gigastorage. Usually this can easily be recognized when the package says: Made in Taiwan

[bold]CD Manufacturer (Factory) - Brand (Selling Company):[/bold]

CDA Dateträger Albrechts GmbH - CDA & FNAC

CMC Magnetics Corporation - BASF, CMC, Hi-Val, Imation, MMore, Onkyo & Samsung

Fornet International Pte Ltd. - Fornet

Fuji Photo Film Co, Ltd. - FujiFilm

Gigastorage Corporation - Gigastorage & That's Write!

Hitachi Maxell, Ltd. - KingTech & Maxell

InfoDisc Technology Co., Ltd. - Buyonet & BestMedia

Kodak Japan Limited - BASF & Kodak

Lead Data Inc. - Lead Data & Targa & Lenco

Mitsubishi Chemicals Corporation - Verbatim & Traxdata, Sony

Mitsui Chemicals - Mitsui, HP & Philips

MPO - Hi-Space

Multi Media Masters & Machinary SA - Polaroid & GameStation

Pioneer Video Corporation - Pioneer & BASF

Princo Corporation - BTC, KingTech, Megadata & Princo

Ricoh Company - Ricoh & KAO

Ritek Co. - Arita, BASF, Samsung, Memorex, Targa, Rimax, Traxdata, FujiFilm & Ricoh

Taiyo Yuden Company Limited - Taiyo Yuden, 3M, Sony, Philips & Imation

TDK Corporation - TDK, 3M, Pioneer & Yamaha

Xcitek Inc. - BestMedia

Some Popular CDs

AUDIO:
    Sony CDQ-74CN [Taiyo Yuden]
    Philips Silver Premium [Taiyo Yuden]
    Kodak Gold [Kodak]

DATA:
    TDK Reflex Disc [TDK]
    Philips Silver Premium [Taiyo Yuden]
    Sony CDQ-74CN [Taiyo Yuden]