1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

idx files

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jhobden, Dec 3, 2004.

1. jhobden

jhobden Guest

I am using the current nero to load music files to hard drive and they come out as idx files or MPEG 4 Movie files.Then they arn't recognised by winmx.Can anyone help please

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi jhodden, welcome to aD,

MPEG-4 files are indeed "movie" files of rather a new strain. Most in-home players can't play them but more and more of them are being made that will handle them but so that the in-home problem should be remedied shortly.

As for your.idx files, those are binary subtitle files. (.idx is an index or something, the actual images are in the .sub). DirectVobSub will automatically render the subtitles into the video (the player sees them as if they are part of the actual video) in most players. (You need to install Direct Vob Sub, afterwhich it's automatic). The advantage of them just making usbs part of the video is that they can be switched on and off as well as have more than one language of subs.

There is also a program called SubRip that will let you convert them to a .srt file (which is text) that will take up less space and only require one file. You open the .idx with SubRip and there should be a menu for what language of subs you want to rip (each srt has one language). Once you've done that, you can embed srts into an .avi as long as you save it as an .ogm. Just about any player that can use Direct Vob Sub plays ogm's, so your fine. I prefer to do this so I only have one file per movie (for easier management of them).

Cheers, Pete

Iffin you wish additrional information on music, you might wish to check our main page and choose a forum more suited to music than DVD's.

Here's one link -
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/37

Last edited: Dec 3, 2004
  3. jhobden

jhobden Guest

Thank you for the info,can you explain why nero is making my cd's in idx files and is there anyway to stop it?

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Huuummm, perhaps I wasn't clear about where to get specialized information concerning your audio work. I'll endeavor to try to explain once again,

Cheers,

Pete