1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IE explorer slow

Discussion in 'Resource center' started by bakery87, Sep 8, 2003.

1. bakery87

bakery87 Member

my internet explorer is running really slow. i can download at normal speed, and can get on AIM, the usual things.. but the internet is horrible. when i try to load, my computer freezes for a few mins, then it works. when its finally up, it works like normal until i close it, then when i want to use it again, it does the same thing.

i had the crackerbox.exe trogan virus, but i got rid of it. i used swat-it, and also norton. i dont know if they are related or not. let me know what the problem is please.. thanks

2. Sina

Sina Member

Try http://www.pestscan.com and correct anything the scan finds!

Also, two applications that I've found invaluable for management of pests are the free scanner "adaware v6" (which has a cleaning function besides it's scan function. And also the free software "regcleaner" which provides a few extra registry examination/cleaning features.

I HIGHLY recommend also installing a registry alarm. This is a piece of software that sets off an alarm when something writes to your registry unexpectedly. The one I have is part of MooSoft's "the cleaner" ... after the 30 day expiration of the main anti-trojan/worm software, the alarm part of the software called "TCMonitor" remains permanently active. It's been a huge help in stopping attacks while in progress.

Theres a lot of tripe out there (malware, adware etc) that gets on your machine under the radar of virus/trojan protection.
    This could very well be the root of the symptoms you noted.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2003
  3. vanila

vanila Member

use a different browser! i use Opera
    http://www.opera.com/

It's WAY faster, doesn't have the security holes of IE, it's free, you can save tabbed sessions, etc.

i use a firewall - zoneAlarm. which prevents anything from accessing your system without your permission.

and in case you end up with ads use AdAware and/or SpyBot to clean out the garbage.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Don't forget Mozilla Firebird! A very sweet piece of browsing software.

5. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Hehe all these other browsers are fine and dandy but it doesnt solve the original problem does it? :p

6. shawn3905

shawn3905 Guest

Spybot S&D is a good tool too, gets rid of alot of junk and spyware that can slow ya down too:)
    shawn