1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"If all went well, an error should have..." (USB to Xbox storage problem) (Solved)

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by LINK1416, Oct 28, 2009.

1. LINK1416

LINK1416 Member

Hello, I've been looking up countless reviews on how to turn a standard USB drive into an Xbox-compatible memory storage device, and I seem to be stuck mid-way between the 'success' and 'failure' stages.

When I plug my USB drive into my Xbox through the USB-to-Xbox controller port, I am not faced with the desired "The memory card wasn't working properly and has now been erased" message, but rather a "The memory unit isn't functioning; it may be damaged" message, and the memory stick is not formatted.

In every how-to thread explaining how to do this step, the review says "If all went well, an error should have popped up saying...". Well, all hasn't gone well. Is anyone able to explain what's going on, and how I can get my xbox to format my memory device?

---side note---

I also went ahead and skipped the initial "xbox formatting" step and installed the Action Replay (MAX Drive in my case) drivers to the device, and I am able to transfer files through the MAX Drive / action replay device flawlessly. The issue lies in connecting it to the Xbox itself.

2. scum101

scum101 Guest

xbox memory cards are £1 in my local pawn shop.. not all memory sticks will work.. did your google search not pick up that little fact? a lot seems to depend on how they are formatted and partitioned to start off with.. and then theres size. all these guides are from the 4-32mb days.. technology has moved on.. and the stuff related to xbox is now cheap to buy used... I paid £4 for my action replay kit.. that's less than a 64mb flash drive.. when you can find one.

3. LINK1416

LINK1416 Member

Well, the whole point of having a USB device that's Xbox compatible for me is to transfer over my Softmod Installer Deluxe Installation file, which is over 90 megs in size. I do have the 16 meg USB drive that came with my MAX Drive package which works perfectly fine, but unless I find an SID installer that's less than 16 megs, I can't transfer it to my Xbox HDD.

4. LINK1416

LINK1416 Member

Aaaand at that I solved my own problem. Thanks for your time anyways.

5. jspicher

jspicher Member

I'm having the same problem, how did you fix it?

6. scum101

scum101 Guest

I don't get it.. softmod exploit installs are 2 small save files.. 8mb total that are transferred from the memory card to the hdd saves.. then loaded from the game as a profile/game save.. they aren't 100's of MB's big..

7. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like the above two guys are making a very simple exercise far too complex; the first post here explains it all, piccies too ~ http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/558747

Two small files which just need to be transferred to the xbox separately as together they are over 8MB which is the normal memory card size.
    I only ever use Splinter Cell so can't vouch for the size of the files for the other two games. (I do have the other files but haven't ever looked in the zip files so don't know the size)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009