1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If anyone has a Sony RDR-GX7 Recorder, I have a question about the DVD-R Media

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by cocorubs, Dec 3, 2003.

1. cocorubs

cocorubs Member

If you own this brand of recorder, I know that it supports recording to DVD of type DVD-R, -RW, and +RW Media. What type is the best to use for recording great quality movies off of the TV? Also what is the best recording format to use for recording my 8MM Camcorder Tapes onto DVD's. I want the recorded DVD's to play back on a normal DVD Player. Which format supports most DVD players, and which is the best to use?

Also, which is the best brand of recordable DVD's to use for recording? Example, Maxwell?....

To the forum moderator, if I posted this question in the wrong forum, please let me know where is the best place to post this question.

Thanks for any help
    Michael

2. whitetail

whitetail Member

hi michael,
    i have rdr-gx7, dvd-r are best for economics, have tried many brands incl sony, i find that memorex are best quality and reliable, there is no difference in quality using the other formats. adjusting recording speed on your recorder to suit 8mm tape lenth or tv broadcasts will give you best quality. -r &-rw give most flexibility on other dvd players, for some reason when i used sony -r and compusa -r there was always a problem, but never a problem with memorex, i use *4
    hope this helps you, stuart

3. cocorubs

cocorubs Member

Stuart, someone said that they use Maxwell? I just read your post and its says that you say that Memorex is the best to use. Somebody in another forum said that in a 10 pack of Memorex 1 out of 10 Worked in the Sony RDR-GX7 Recorder.

What does *4 mean in your post? Are you saying that Memorex is the best and hasn't give you any problems? Also, what other brands would you recommend? I just got the recorder today, but I am giving it to my wife for Christmas.

One last question, I live in USA, by the way, does it make a difference? But my last question is what do you use mostly? Is -R the format that most DVD players take? I do have an Apex 500W DVD Player and would like my DVD's to work on that brand.

Thanks, any more help is appreciated.
    Michael

4. whitetail

whitetail Member

hi michael,
    also in usa, louisville,ky, never tried maxell discs yet, as i said i have tried many different makes of dvd-r and memorex is only one that has given me no problems, dvd-rw from sony, memorex and other manufacturers play ok, no problems, just seems to be -r is problem. the recorder is great, very satisfied with it, excellent recordings using video camera , vcr or other external sources to make copies. i mostly use -r. -r and -rw play in any other dvd players i have used,apex, sony, samsung, go video,rca.,with no playback problems, even used them on older dvd players with no problems, the*4 is 4 times recording speed but is backwards compatible to *1 speed which is the speed that the sony gx7 records at. you may want to try various makes to see what is best for you, discs are just like cdr discs occasionally you get a bad one, thats why we have coasters. never had a bad memorex disc, even at the 6 hour speed the quality is as good as vhs, but at 1 , 1.5 and 2 hr speeds the quality is fantastic, best buy i made in a long time, i am going to pursue the -r problem with sony after the holidays and will let you know what i find out, you and your wife will enjoy it, happy holidays,
    stuart

5. cocorubs

cocorubs Member

Thank you so much for all of the help. I will buy the Memorex -R, -RW, and +RW discs. I will buy more of the -RW dics. You did say that you didn't have a problem with the -R memorex discs, but you DID have problems with other brands of -R disc, right? But you did not have problems with other brands of -RW, +RW discs. Am I understanding this right?

Thanks
    Michael

6. whitetail

whitetail Member

hi michael,
    no problems with using other makes in -rw, +rw. all worked fine. just -r, you may be ok, it might just be a particular problem with my gx7 machine , let me know how you get on with other -r makes, will be interesting to know if it's only my gx7 that has the problem.
    if thats the case i will contact sony,otherwise it's a great recorder.
    thanks stuart