1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you know anything about Directx, PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Twistys, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Twistys

Twistys Member

First i want to say that i have read alot of stuff and am only posting as a final, final resort because i have tried everything. I am NOT just posting cos im lazy and cant be bothered to read guides/FAQ.

With that said, I have a GEForce 5600XT graphics card that i'm running on a 1.2ghzAthlon with win XP (sp1)and Direct X 9.0c
    I have 3 games on my comp which i have tried with this GFXcard and they all give the same results- they play fine, nice frame rates etc. 3D Gfx are fine, but 2d sprites and textures keep screwing up, either shaky or flashing red, or shadows coming up in the wrong places etc. Basically it looks pretty corrupted. The 3 games i try it with is Max Payne, Unreal Tournament and Unreal Tournament 2004. I know about the certain conflicts MP and UT can have with XP- but the exact same problems occur with UT2004 also.

I thought it might be the gfxcard drivers- so i updated them but it made no difference. Then i updated my motherboard, agp drivers and games to the latest versions as well- no difference.
    The problem i think i have with it is DirectX maybe. On the Direct 3d tests, on 7 interfaces i get nothing, then on 8 and 9 interfaces its fine, or a little bit shaky. I don't know how to sort this out though! You can't delete direct X! Is there any way to find maybe past Directx drivers that havnt been deleted and get rid of them?

I have onboard GFX on my motherboard that i have disabled (its not shown under device manager>display), so i don't think this is conflicting.
    The one bit of advice i could really do with though - how can you find out the speed of your AGP drive? (e.g 2x,4x,8x) How do i know how fast its meant to be set at? Can i change this in the BIOS?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as i have wasted so much time and energy on this. (My monitor has bite marks on it now)

2. Twistys

Twistys Member

Found out what the problem was. If anyone else has this problem try this-
    The GFX card has a top speed of 8x, however, AGP motherboard slot can only handle 2x- set it to 2x, still bit unstable, then set it to 1x. Now works fine- still fast and no glitches.

3. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Sounds like it is time to get a new motherboard to handle the capablilities of your excellent video card. You won't be disappointed.

Frankly, I am surprised that you got the video card to work in your motherboard.

Edit: I just read your post, again. How old is your motherboard?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
  4. Twistys

Twistys Member

Its not that old, but I think the BIOS needs updating. Even at 1x speed it seems to work fine though. The motherboard is SIS, so fairly cheap. I think it can support up to 4x, but i really can't be bothered to investigate, as i have it working fine now and have already wasted enough time and energy on it.