1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If your girlfriend cheated on you with a girl would you be mad?

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Logik666, Jan 26, 2006.

1. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@permiggs; .... ah...o.k....but the same question applies, what is "mains" operated? "Main" if the french word for hand; is that what you meant....hand operated? If so, there's still much to be said for that; it's certainly uncomplicated, no cajoling required, no unnecessary chatter, you don't need to buy your hand flowers or dinner, it doesn't get a headache etc. etc.

2. permiggs

permiggs Regular member

Gerry, i'm sorry mate, i'm brit you know... mains operated means it's got a electric plug. You plug it in the socket... lol sorry mate...

3. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Seems the differences in the english language on opposite sides of the pond are just enough to make things interesting. If memory serves, to say that a woman is "homely" in England means that she's personable, hospitable and makes you feel at home; in the US, when you say that a woman is "homely" it means that she's downright and unquestionably butt-ugly, she's a real double bagger.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2006
  4. Logik666

Logik666 Regular member

LMAO, "double bagger" omg i haven't heard that in the longest time!

Oh, just re-read, bouble bagger?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2006
  5. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

OOOPS! Can't type worth a crap either!

6. gear79

gear79 Guest

butterface comes to mind !!!

ever heard that one before permiggs ??

whats goin on gerry, long time no see in the home theater forums !!
    hehe... i have not been there much myself !

7. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Howdy Gear! How've you been? How did you make out with ScubaBud and your second HDD? There really hasn't been much going on in the home theater forum...I left a post for our buddy looking to connect only two speakers to his Denon and another for this guy who wanted a kick-ass center speaker seemingly without consideration to the rest of them. That's about it!

I'll probably start a couple of threads tomorrow. I want to get a digital camera for my artwork and while I'm pretty good with a 35mm, I don't know crap about digials. Basically, I'll post how I'd use it and for what and see what sort of suggestions I get. I might also post asking for advice about a projector for my artwork...I'm not looking to use it for hometheater or powerpoint presentations but rather just to occasionally project an image for a sketch which I'll then draw or paint. I want someting to connect to my PC (I got a second junkie one from work just for this purpose). I've been using an opaque projector when I needed to do this but they really really suck. (It's income tax return time and time to start considering my new toys!)

Hope you are well boss. Time for me to go to bed. Its only 8:30 but I've got to get up at 4:00 a.m. Take it easy! ... Gerrt

8. gear79

gear79 Guest

i am just looking for better options gerry !
    good luck on the digi cam purchase !!

catch ya later !

9. permiggs

permiggs Regular member

butterface? The kind of bird that you cover the face and f@$k for the Queen... Because she's got the body of an angel... with a nice fanny! Not used a lot...

10. gear79

gear79 Guest

ummm, permiggs.... do you need a moment alone there buddy ?
    lol

11. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

LMAO! F##K for the queen! Jeez, gear, how can us U.S. boys say something similar? ...F##K for George? ...just ain't the same somehow. We could do it for Lady Liberty but lets face it, she's something of a double bagger herself...not to mention big, hard and green.

Most Americans are rather intrigued by this royal family thing...I think that, subconsciously, there is still this "motherland" thing; when something nasty happens to england, the people of the US still get pretty pissed off but don't understand why.

Hey Gear, can you imagine the fun we'd have trying to put together a home theater system for Windsor Castle? Acoustics must be a real bitch but then again, we could put all those tapestries to practical use!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2006
  12. permiggs

permiggs Regular member

@Gerry
    I know it can be weird for you, but i'm sure you also have those one liners in US... I watch a lot of movies and i heard quite a few... We brits try to keep slang to a minimun...
    If we put the whole slang down, even we struggle to understand...

But hey, after a Tiddly Wink and a nice bit of Jack Straw we kinda understand anything that comes this way... Well, now i'm gonna go for a good old Barry White, since the old Gary Glitter is finally free... So Spanish Waiter guys!

13. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Permiggs: Now I'm the one who's embarrassed!

14. permiggs

permiggs Regular member

@Gerry
    This was a joke to show you some english slang at its best!! LOL
    Translation of cockney slang:
    But hey, after a [bold]drink[/bold] and a nice bit of [bold]cannabis[/bold] we kinda understand anything that comes this way... Well now i'm gonna go for a good old [bold]sh¦te[/bold], since the old [bold]sh¦ter[/bold] is finally free... So [bold]catch you later[/bold] guys!

Like i said sometimes even we can't understand this stuff... There's so many different ones! LOL

I want to learn a few US ones... Like i said before, i know a few from films etc, but i'm sure there's a lot more!

[edit]That's better!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2006
  15. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

I was born in England, raised in the US, and went back to the UK in while in the USAF. Yes things can be very confusing. Its like you understand most of the words (or think you do) but some of them can really throw you off. Someone coming by to see you will "knock you up" and believe me, that means something else completely in the US. I had a landlord and i couldn't understand a thing he said until after 6 months of living there. He had a "Cockney" accent?? or something like that.
    Somebody say blue hair??
    [​IMG]

16. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Ah, I can't tell you how glad I am that I was wrong! Sometimes even when you speak the same language, meaning of things can be different. Earlier, I mentioned the differences between the meaning of the word "homely" ... this guy I know told this really funny story about it...someone trying to not be insulted when the insult, by their definition, was a great compliment.

I've heard cockney on TV before and I've got to tell you, it really had me scratching my head in bewilderment! Not just cockney but some accents too. I remember renting this movie called "The Full Monty" and I didn't understand a word for the first twenty mins. then it all fit into place and I started it over. Americans are no different; I'm sure you've had much the same reaction to some American films or TV shows. The US is a pretty big country and there are regional accents everywhere. Certain southern US accents can be something of a labor to understand. While I live in Philadelphia, I come from New England where I guess the use of the language would be more like the english than the rest of the country...at least the english accents we hear of TV...not the cockney stuff. The never pronounce the letter "R", some don't pronounce the letter "H" and even some british words which they don't use anywhere else in the US like "plaster" instead of band-aid, "elastic" instead of rubber band, "flat" instead of apartment. There are others but I forget. I think some of the most difficult to understand can be some of the Afro-Americans. Some speak what you could only call a dialect or a patois...they call it "ebonics". Every now and again something will spark somewhere and there will be all these arguements as to whether it should be allowed in schools etc.

I'm afraid I would be the last person to teach you some American slang; while I was born in the US, I was raised in Quebec and spoke very little english until I was about 18. French is much more literal than english and I use to get so confused by slang and American expressions. I still run into expressions that throw me; a woman at work was relating an experience and she came out and said "Lord, did I have egg on my face". I didn't have a clue what she meant but at least I don't take it literally anymore! I saw this Star Trek movie which made me laugh because it reminded me of when I was a kid and english expressions really confused me: going back to a previous conversation, Kirk asks Mr. Spok "Spok, have you changed your mind?" With a quizzical look, Spok responds "Captain, is there something wrong with the one I have?"

Well, must go, I;ve a friend coming over and I'm babbling. Glad I didn't piss you off! Take it easy buddy! ... Gerry

@Maxburn: How are you buddy? I just sa your post. I must admit, I'm jealous. I've always wanted to go to england but somehow never got around to it.

17. permiggs

permiggs Regular member

@Gerry
    Coming to England? Well... I don't think you're missing much... Too cold, always raining, virtually foggy all the time... The food isn't exactly the best... Then you have to drive on the left! LOL
    I think you would like the monuments and sh¦t like that... Ever heard of the Big Ben in London? It's some sight when you see it... Altough England is a nice country to visit, (i know this place from top to bottom) the rest of Europe is much more appealing to me. I have been to quite a few countries on various bike/car trips around Europe. France is beautiful, they have an amazing road system, the food is good, the wine is even better... Then Paris is one of the most romantic places ever... Going in there with the mrs is a must... There's the mountains and the sea coast... They have it all there...
    Germany is also very nice, very clean and organized, not like in UK where everything is all over the place... They have the beer festival that lasts a week! We were there for two days, some germans didn't bother moving for the whole time!!! Oh, and their autobahns (motorways=freeways LOL) are unrestricted! There was me having the time of my life, legally for once(!) on my CBR doing about 140mph, when i got flashed by a Merc, i just pulled to the side... He overtook me like if i was just standing... The Germans are awesome!
    Spain and Portugal are just the best countries ever! Everyone looks so relaxed... The food is my favorite in the whole world... They have such a variety of meat, fish, smoked meat, sea food, veg... I never seen anything like it before! Then they also have the festivals! It's like, anything is good for a party! Dream place, i know where i wanna go when i retire! They look after you the whole time you're there! I went there to the biggest bike meet in Europe, and i was only 22 at the time, it's not easy to ride 3000+ miles when you're that young... I rode about 20 different bikes... And about 100 people rode mine LOL!! If you're talking to someone about their bike and say 'can i have a go', they'll give you the keys!
    I have a dream of doing route 66 on a Harley Davidson...

@Max
    What's your opinion about the UK tough? Did you like it?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2006
  18. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

permiggs,
    Hi there buddy, the UK, well you have to remember i was born there, of american parents, but left when i was 6 months old, so first impression was none. Second time i was there in 1980-81. I had this whole concept of the UK in my head, but nothing like the real thing to straighten you out. Yes, cold, damp, raining, dismal, dreary, and those were the good days.. :) No really, it has tons of history, castels , old pubs, good beer, cemetaries, very small roads, and driving on the left. Now the food was different. The UK had many non-uk ppl and you could get just about any kind of food. I started getting these kabobs from a small indian ran shop. They were made with some kind of meat,, lamb and something else, all put in a pita bread thing with all the fixings.. Made a meal in one sandwich. And fish and chips are a MUST do in the UK at least once in your life. Overall, id say the UK is fine in my book. Nice place to visit or even stay a while, but the excessive laws, and excessive taxes will get anyone opressed/depressed after a while. That and the northwest US coast type weather all the time, without the sun, probably leads to the ppl of UK being somewhat depressed and not so funny most of the time, serious would be a better term, but they did produce Monty Python and the gang, and thats some funny sh*t. Benny Hill was funny in a corny way. If you get to know the ppl they are fine and friendly, but at first they can be a little stand offish. Id lived in Texas before going to the UK and almost everyone of them had an old west TV western concept of that state.. I gave up trying to tell them TX grew up with the rest of the world and even had TV and electricity now.. :)

19. permiggs

permiggs Regular member

And Bush... LOL

Yeah, i dont mind kebabs and fish n chips... They're especially nice when you come out of a club and are pi$$ed out of your head... LOL Like you said there's a lot of foreign people here that brought their culture and gastronomy... You can find restaurants from India, China, Japan, Mexico, France Italy, Portugal, Spain etc... The variety is quite remarkable.
    Well, i was born portuguese but lived in here forever... LOL As far as i'm concerned i'm british... It's quite good when i go there (been there twice to the meet), i can scratch a bit of portuguese, so we're never lost! LOL

Last edited: Feb 3, 2006
  20. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@permiggs and maxburn...how are you guys? I've sort of been away for the last couple of days; neck and back were raising hell and I've spent the last two days watching movies in a narcotic induced haze...all is fine now.

It's been quite awhile but I've been to Athens, Rome, Naples, southern France and Majorca and Barcelona. My favorite was France not because its better but because I'm from quebec and fluent in french. In france, like everywhere, I'd hit the cities for awhile but loved to rent a car and go out into the countyside. France was neat because I'm fluent and I was treated like a king...like a francophone colonial visiting the motherland. I don't think I paid for a single meal nor stay at a single hotel...just slept in the spare rooms or on the sofas for total strangers! Unbelievable. Like Maxburn, it's the history that's so facinating ... the US is like a babe in diapers compared to europe.

I live in downtown Philadelphia in what many consider to be the most historic district in the US. Right in front of my apartment, kids would put horse-turds in their sling shots and hurl them at the redcoats (no offense there permiggs LOL!). To my right is constitution hall and the liberty bell. And a stones throw away is "Elfreths Alley" which is the oldest street in the US. It's all pretty neat in a quaint sort of way, the history is facinating but historically, it's brand new compared to Europe and certainly none of the grandeur. Damn, some of those European cathedrals took seven hundred years to build...three times longer than the US is old! It really to my breath away to look at some of the European architecture and realize that it was all constructed in days that were as low tech as it gets yet with grandeur and artwork that will never again be matched despite our technology and progress.

Well, gotta go. Hope your're both well!