1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IFO, VOB, and BUP files

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by jagman55, Mar 11, 2005.

1. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey there jagman55,

Now that you're question is answered, it doesn't mean it's time for you to up and move on - this is a give and take kind of a deal ~

You've seen how we work and you've seen that we had fun doing it. - Now it's your turn, stop back when you're free and help someone else - You'll have fun and, a chance to learn some more, teaching is a learning experience too, you know :)

Take a few minutes and check out our opening page. We've got a ton"O"stuff here at aD ~ Checkout some of our other forums, we have the "Safety Valve" a forum about anything - from "What's bugging you," to, "Where members come from" OR "The best joke you've ever heard." More free time on your hands ? Check out our forum's on Home Theater components (there might be an idea for something new to do with yours), CD's, PS2's, X-box or Gamecube topics OR check out the forum on Cellular phones, something new about yours might be there ~ one can never tell :)

Me ? Well I'll be over there, behind the water cooler, under the potted Palm, sipping a "cold one" and chewing the fat, trying to help the next Newbie with the weight of the burning world upon their shoulders.

- Feel free to stop by and say "Howdy" ~

I'll expect to Sea ya soon,

Cheers,

Pete :b)

2. jagman55

jagman55 Member

Thanks Pete,
    Well have tried something new. DVDFab , the Express works great to copy DVD to DVD and fast too. No brainer to use. Tried to use DVDFab Platinum but had problems and am taking it to tech support.

Still cant do a burn to a DVD from files were given (vob, ifo, etc) and the old Sony still says wrong area even though have used DVD Decryptor (too bad about it leaving us) m then Shrink. Works OK on the PC but not on a DVD player.

Well even though have wasted about 4 DVD still keep trying and dont know much but will try to help whenever possible.

Also playing around with trying to convert PAL to NTSC but seems when I get the files on HD from someone, cant make a DVD but am getting pretty good at ripping and burning.
    Thanks

3. jagman55

jagman55 Member

Seems like I have a endless steam of questions.
    Now I am into labeling my DVD and DVD Video case inserts.
    I have found 2 types, the old (you know the ones you get new DVDs in) and the new ones called SLIM by some vendors.
    But the problem is getting a labeling program that can do almost everything. I have tried Acoustica good program, but lacks templates for the SLIM. Click'n design by Avery/CD Stomper but no DVD video templates at all. Have tried some of the smaller ones but to no avail. Question, is there anyone out there with some recommendations for labeling programs that gives a goord range of options and has availabillity of templaes for lots of the DVD stuff?

4. jagman55

jagman55 Member

Pete, had a interesting situation today.
    On a movie, I used the DVD Decryptor and worked fine. Created some files: VTS_01-Stream Information.txt; VTS_01_0.IFO AND VTS_01_1.VOB THRU VTS_01_7.VOB, and that is all, the size was 6.01GB so I tried Shrink, but kept getting errors that Shrink got error and cannot find VIDEO_TS.IFO. Must be a different format that Shrink will not handle. Did I choose something wrong? But then I tried the new DVDFAB Platinum and it seem to decrypt and shrink. The FAB program broke it into BUP, VOB and IFO. Can you enlighten us??

Thx

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

@jagman55,

First, why are you still wasting DVD's ? You s/b using DVD RW discs until you have your recipe down pat.

Save yourself $$$$, buy 1 DVD RW. It's all you'll ever need :)

Second,
    Try Neato.com
    for all your label supplies. They have the right templates for everything.

http://www.neato.com/neato_cattemp_...BQG2DSA8MCERFBQP7HMBTA7488B&class_id=_CDLABEL

Lastly,

You forgot the simplest rule in everyone of my guides.

Create a folder first to put your work into. When using DVD Decrypter, make another folder called VIDEO_TS (spelled just like that as it's case sensitive) and place all of the files from DVDD into that folder.

DVD Shrink and many other programs require that VIDEO_TS folder to sea the VOB files and then pick them up. Without the proper folder, all you'll get will be errors.

I suggest to all again, when you begin to experience a problem, go back to my guides, PRINT THEM OUT so that you can follow along easier, and go over EVERY SINGLE STEP. Until you've been doing this for 6 months, you're still a Newbie and, as such, are prone to mistakes - we all get "cocky", toss the guides only to make the simple mistakes all over again. It just takes time :)

Learn from us ~ we've all made the mistakes you're making now ~

Cheers,

Pete

6. jagman55

jagman55 Member

Of course, you are right, slipped right by me in the confusion. Didnt know one could use DVD-RW for video but good ideas as I have lots of RW I use for data.

Thanks again.

7. awarrior

awarrior Guest

Hi there, I read this thread and there's alot of info here. Does anyone know anything about MACS? I am trying to assemble the IFO, BUP and VOB files into iMovie to create a movie, then need to make a backup copy on a VHS. I have the VHS system hookup, all I need to do is correctly assemble the files to make it so the movie can play. Once it can play, I can do a straight duplication backup onto video. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

8. awarrior

awarrior Guest

I forgot to mention my error: can't be imported, could not parse it, #2048. I'm assuming this means there is some encoded protection?

9. jagman55

jagman55 Member

Can accross a new type DVD, It has the STD and Widescreen version on the same DVD and it 7.3GB big. The strange thing is when you try to make into 2-DVDs, It breaks them Std screen disk 1 and 2 and widescreen disk 1 and disk 2 AND the total for all 4 disk is up to 14gb, yet it is all from the 7.3gb original DVD?? Of course it will not work because of the 'memu' to choose which version and gets fooled but never say this before. Tried Decryptor and Shrink and worked fine but resolution is not good is why I tried to break into 2 disk, STD and Widescreen. Guess will have to stay with low resolution version.
    Any advise??

10. mdossaji

mdossaji Member

I tried to copy my shrunked DVD movie by changing to .iSO and then use dvd decryptor to write back to DVD. Used TDK 8X DVD-R. The process ran okay and it was verified. But won't play on my DVD player, altough I can play converted AVI files on the same media.
    The movie was spiderman 2.

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

awarrior,

If you read just the opening page you would have seen an entire forum for MACS - it's located here

http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/56

mdossaji,

I have no idea why OR how you "changed" your "Shrunked" DVD - could you explain that to me ?

12. mdossaji

mdossaji Member

[bold]ScubaPete[/bold]

I tried to backup my spiderman 2 from the harddrive (compressed by DVDshirnk) to my philips DVR-110D using DVD-R and it did not copy entirely. Gave my sector error.

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

@ mdossaji,

You're still a little short on information.

For future reference: When you ask a question in forum, you have to pretend we're not there in your room seeing everything that you do (in reality, we're not).

You haven't told us:

1. Who's guide you're using.
    a. By knowing who's guide you're using, we would then know where you may have gone wrong OR what settings need to be corrected. If you think you're too good to need someone else’s guide, tell us. Maybe you are that good, maybe not.
    2. any settings that you changed in Shrink
    a. You should change your DVD Target Size from DVD-5 to "Custom" and set the size according to the type of media you are using. Anywhere from 4360MB to 4200MB.
    b. Your burn speed is of major importance. Just because the disc "says" 16X doesn't mean you'll be able to make a backup at that speed. (FYI, 16X is "OK" for text and coasters BUT not for a successful video backup.)
    3. We don't know the name of the DVD. Yes, you did give us this information. I tossed this question in for any others who are reading this to learn how to write a post. BTW, There are no special problems with Spiderman2, I, myself, have backed the disc up and am very familiar with it. :)
    a. Certain DVD's are problematic and so may have to be handled differently OR perhaps we may have had that particular DVD and know a little "trick" to help you out.
    4. We don't know where the DVD came from.
    a. If it came from an original DVD then it could be too big for your DVD media and certain things may have to be deleted.
    b. Poor quality media requires you to keep your burn farther away from the disc's edge because the dye app probably isn't even out that far.
    c. If the movie came from a download, you might have to run it through a proggy to ensure that you don't have a corrupt in there.
    5. We don't know what brand and type of media you're using.
    a. Knowing whether you're using some crappy media such as Memorex OR are you using Verbatim, a top-of-the-line media can make the difference between a backup and a "coaster". A "coaster" is a useless DVD disc that didn't burn correctly and needs to be headed towards the trashcan.
    6. What are your PC's specs ?
    a. Running a PC that is low on resources OR that you've allowed to become bogged down and needs to be cleaned before it can be used for the job you wish to do make all of the difference between success and failure.
    7. What software are you using ?
    a. Certain software conflicts with other software, that most common being anything made by Roxio. Roxio programs have to be removed completely with specialty programs.
    b. Running out of date programs are also a problem. I.e., Your O/S needs to be up-to-date with the proper downloads. Your burner's Firmware MUST be current. Your system requires a "Working" ASPI layer. Your HD's MUST be defragmented. A fragmented HD is useless as is a HD that is too full to do the task at hand.

The list can go on . . . . If you wish help, you MUST supply information. We're not there, we can't sea what media you're using, what burn speed, etc, etc. Learn to type a storybook. You cannot give us too much information. Also, by giving us what we need to help you, we'll remember you (in a good way). We tire quickly with pple who make us "Drag" the information from them only to find out after several days that, IF they hadn't have been so secretive, we would have had their problem solved with just 1 simple post.

NOW, I've spent my time explaining to you, in detail, exactly what we need from you. I fully expect you to answer my questions. Each and every one ! I also hope that you'll learn one simple lesson,

INFORMATION = SOLUTIONS !

I may have skipped something in my questioning section BUT you should get the idea, if it's remotely related to your question, we need to know it. By doing this, your questions can be evaluated easily and quickly and maybe, some other posters will learn from you, the proper way to elicit answers from us :)D)

Cheers,

Last edited: Oct 9, 2005