1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ignorant and have new ILO MP3 player

Discussion in 'Audio' started by FrancoB, Dec 17, 2005.

1. ericepp

ericepp Member

Whether the files are present when you connect the player may depend on a few points, mainly where you got them. If they are WMA-DRM (Digital Rights Management)files, they may not transfer properly until you play them in Windows Media Player first to acquire the license for them. Second, if they are from a subscription based service (Monthly Fee for "unlimited" downloading), then you may have a Software/Firmware issue with the player, Windows (<SP1 , or Windows Media Player (< Ver. 10). These last type of downloaded files, called Janus files require an MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) Driver that is installed with WMP Ver 10. You also must have WindowsXP Service Pack 1 or later. Also your player may need a Firmware upgrade to make it compatible with those type files. Or, the player may not be compatible at all with the files you transferred to it.

Why would you delete the music from your PC once they are on the player? Wouldn't you want to have the option to listen to them at a later date, or maybe from your PC.

If your files are just plain old MP3s or WMAs, then you may be doing something to delete them that you are unaware of. If you don't figure it out soon, call the Manufacturer of your player's Tech Support, it may take someone walking it through with you to see where the problem is. Troubleshooting an issue such as yours on a forum can take days, or weeks to get to the heart of the issue.

2. Denversi

Denversi Member

Hey guys! Newbie here.

I am using a SANDISK m250 mp3 player and got 2 free months of napster.

Before using napster, my mp3 player installed as a removable drive when plugged into the usb port, now after napster, it is an icon that opens and allows me to see the wma files that I loaded from napster, but where in the hell are my mp3's and data files I had on there previously???

I even did a search for them. The mp3's are there, they still play, but I can't browse for them. And I can't browse the data files I had on it. What gives???

Thanks

3. ericepp

ericepp Member

Sounds like your player is in MTP mode instead of MSC mode. MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) is for Napster To Go files, also called Janus files. There should be an option in the player to change the transfer mode back to MSC mode. MSC means Mass Storage Class, and has nothing to do with the size of the storage medium. It means your device can be seen as a Removable Drive on your computer. On the player, go to the Menu and select setting and then USB; select MSC. This will allow you to see the player as a drive on your computer. For a detailed description, go to page 30 on the user manual, which is available at:
    http://www.sandisk.com/Assets/File/pdf/retail/Sansa_ug_Eng_m200.pdf
    Please reply for further assistance.

4. ericepp

ericepp Member

Clarification:

The correct Menu path is - Settings/USB/MSC.

The "USB Mode" determines what driver the player uses when connected to the PC. When in MSC mode, it uses the standard Windows "Mass Storage Class" device drivers.

The player will not allow "Janus" files to be transferred to it when in MSC mode.

To transfer "Janus" (Napster To Go's Subscription Based, not Pat-Per-Track) type files, you will need to change the "USB Mode" back to Auto-Detect. When in MTP mode, it uses the MTP driver which is downloaded with Windows Media Player 10. Please reply for further assistance.

5. Denversi

Denversi Member

DUDES! Thanks! U got it! Right on! Thank you!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2006