1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

illegal disc when using nero dl memorex media?

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by schunn99, Oct 1, 2007.

1. schunn99

schunn99 Member

hey all,

I been having a problems with my tsstcorp ts-532m burner. I burn using nero. If I burn a 4.7 gb dvd I am fine, but if I change to a dvd9(8.5gb) and burn a large dvd like 8 gb, I get a illegal disc error after about 25% done. Is this a firmware problem or just nero? If it's a firmware problem, how do you flash the drive? I am working off a laptop and using a slim-drive.
    I am using Memerox 2.4 DL dvds.

thanks,
    Schunn99

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

It's probably a firmware problem - illegal disc error usually means the media code isn't supported by the firmware. The drive will use a generic write pattern that may or may not always work.

Check the laptop manufacturers site for any firmware updates - they're more than likely the ones supporting the drive. Don't be surprised if you don't find one - they not always the best at keeping up the firmware support in the laptop.

For dual layer use Verbatim - try and get the 4x or 2.4x ones.

You can also post the failed log and we can take a peek to see if anything else is amiss. Just be sure to edit out the serial # - they begin w/ 1A, 1C or 5C.

3. schunn99

schunn99 Member

hey all,
    checked at tsstcorp website, downloaded their firmware software, but my drive is no longer supported. They no longer make firmware for it. what do I do now? try a different DL media brand?
    thanks,
    Schunn99

4. binkie7

Yep that's what I'd do - use the verbs 2.4x or 4x for this drive. That or just use single layer.

5. schunn99

schunn99 Member

any DL brands that are usually accepted by most burners?

6. binkie7

Yep - Verbatim would be the ones. For this drive look for the 2.4x or 4x ones (see my posts above).