1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ILO DVDR04/HD04 Firmware Download Page

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by adambrann, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

To All

I have updated the Ilo Firmware Download Page with a firmware update for the R04. It is a revision of 1098 (Filename: WMEA1098.ES5 3/14/05) and is suppose to fix the green tint issue with the R04. The original and hacked version are posted along with CD images for the hacked version in ISO and Nero format.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  2. hardlock

hardlock Member

Okay, how do I get a DVD disc out? Tried off/on plug/unplug, everythings hung.

Recorded for about 30 min off TV on +RW media and unit hung with STOP showing in window. This is my first DVD unit and use and hate to return it with my RW disk digested. :(

Looking forward to trying the firmware with another unit unless someone knows what's wrong with mine.

3. unixdude

unixdude Member

I loaded 1098ES5 this morning, and my initial analysis indicates a substantial if not complete fix of the green tint issue.

The most egregious example of the green tint was formerly on blond hair in low light scenes. I finally found a blonde in low light (God bless hundreds of Dish channels!), and the problem appears to be fixed with 1098ES5. I'm not claiming complete victory yet because around eyes in low light and on some dark-skinned characters, I wasn't sure whether or not I was still seeing a hint of green. It could just be a simple case of my own hypersensitsivity to the issue after having dealt with it for weeks.

So what's the verdict, fellow DVDR04 users? Does 1098ES5 really fix the green tint issue?

4. hardlock

hardlock Member

Got my disc out by removing the case and drive cover.(easy to do). Unit was still locked up so returned for another.

I updated it to WMEA1098.ES5 with no problems whatsoever.

When I tried the same routine with the DVDR04_1098b.iso file, it wouldn't take. Said loading, then data file and nothing more.

Any advice?

5. hardlock

hardlock Member

Just noticed that the title link above the VDR04_1098b.iso file has the WMEA1098.ES5 there also. Is that the hacked one or just the original as it has the same file size? I used the original from the ilo site.

Nevermind - Burned it and the 3hr is there so guess I'm good to go. Will test the 3hr mode for quality next.

Gee, even if the ilo programmers don't know how to add the 3hr mode, it would seem that they could at least find out how from your patch. doh!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
  6. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

To All

I have update the ILO Firmware Download Page to include the new HD04 1194 firmware update. It is available both hacked and unhacked. There are also CD images for the hacked version in both Nero (.nrg) and Standard (.iso) formats.

Update Info:
    Version: 1194
    Filename: WMJA1194.DS3
    Type: System Only (if you haven't update previously to 1193RevA, do so!!!)
    Fixes: Green Tint Problem, Playback of Audio CD's

I have also done a lot of changes to the site. The only firmware files on the main recorder pages are those that are needed to bring the recorders up to the latest updates. Each page will have the last available system & drive update and the latest system only update. This is to help relieve some of the confusion as to what updates to run. I have moved the older updates to a seperate page linked off of the main recorder pages.

I also made the Home page a little more simple, moving a lot of the links to other new pages. Mr. Wizard's Smart Hacking Tool is still linked on the Home page.

I have added a link to the new ILO Firmware Update Instructions on Home page and each of the recorder pages. READ IT!!! It will save you a lot of problems and make your upgrade go more smooth.

I hope you like the new changes to the site. If there are any questions or ideas, you know where to find me!!!

Enjoy the new HD04 update. It works!!

7. alfrednew

alfrednew Member

Seems to be working. I watch the collateral and amazingly without any noticeable green in the clouds in the beginning of the movie. The Audio CD is fixed, as well. I'll try other titles when I have time.
    Thanks, Gtrman, for the download.

8. bbaxter

bbaxter Member

how about the 5007 from Sears? Will the hack still work with new firmware?

thanks.

9. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

bbaxter,

Yes, it should. I have heard of other 5007 users using the Smart Hacking Tool to hack the firmware. Try it. The program will tell you if it has a problem finding the right code.

10. Pazzi1

Pazzi1 Guest

What would be the procedure for a NEW ilo DVDR04?

Thanks.

11. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

Pazzi1,

Same as any. You need to see what firmware is installed. Go to the setup screen and look at the serial number.

xxxx-xxxx-0097-xxxx The third set of numbers is the firmware version.

If it is earlier that 1097, you will want to use both 1097 and 1098RevB. 1097 gives you the latest drive update while 1098RevB gives you the latest system update.

12. bbaxter

bbaxter Member

does anyone know why this model needs 2 firmware updates (drive and system), while the liteon 5007 only needs 1 file?

thanks!

13. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

bbaxter,

The LiteOn/ILO recorders can have 3 different firmware files, system, drive or system & drive.

The reason for needing 2 files for the ILO at this point, is that the last firmware update for the ILO (1194)was system only. The update prior to that was a system & drive update. If you were to just install the newest file (1194), you would not be getting the drive update that came with 1193. This is also assuming that the recorder had not been upgraded to 1193 beforehand.

If you have a recorder that already had 1193 installed, there would be no need to do both. You would just install 1194.

Be assured that the 5007 will come across this situation at some time.

The rule of thumb for these recorders is to make sure you install or have installed the last available system & drive update before installing a system only or drive only update. This will assure you have ALL the latest updates.

Read the firmware update page I have set up on my site. It explains the different firmware upgrade types.
    http://www.ss3f.com/ilo/aboutfirmware.htm

Last edited: Apr 8, 2005
  14. hieye

hieye Guest

Thanks to Gtrman for the ILO firmware hacks. I'm wondering what is the difference between Gtrman's hack vs Mr. Wizards? If the official ILO firmware updates are accomplished, and then Mr. Wizard's hack is run, are we not accomplishing the same end result as Gtrman's hack?

However, if Gtrman's hack is installed, does this mean you cannot update via the official ILO firmware downloads in the future? It appears that Mr. Wizards hack allows future official ILO firmware updates?

Can anyone clear this up? Appreciate it!

15. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

hieye,

Mr. Wizard's program is not firmware, it is for hacking the firmware.

My firmware is already hacked. I actually use Mr. Wizard's hacking tool to hack the firmware posted on my site.

My site has both the hacked and unhacked versions of the firmware. You have the choice of downloading either the already hacked version or you can download the unhacked version and use Mr. Wizard's hacking tool to hack it yourself. Either way, you end up with the same file and result.

Whether you use hacked or unhacked firmware, you are always able to upgrade or downgrade to other versions of firmware.

I hope this helps

Last edited: Apr 9, 2005
  16. hieye

hieye Guest

Thanks gtrman,

Appreciate the work and info!

17. bbaxter

bbaxter Member

thanks gtrman for your clarification. Do you know the bitrate for the hacked 3hr recording? Is the quality equal to, or worse than 2hr?

Thanks,
    Baxter

18. KLEAR101

KLEAR101 Member

Hey! Does anyone know if there is a way to defeat the copy protection on the HD04?

Specifically is there a way to put a copy protected DVD (that I own) in the DVD tray and copy it to the HDD?

I've downloaded the latest (hacked) software version... but , no go...

Thanks!

19. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

KLEAR101,

You can not copy a dvd from the drive to the HDD. The hack will only allow you to record a DVD real time using another player.

20. ljmiller

ljmiller Guest

I have just bought a DVDR04, but have been reading this page, Guitarman's download page, and ILO DVDR04/HD04 Firmware Download Page. Maybe I am overlooking it somewhere, but I think the first thing to know before a Firmware upgrade, is to know what version I now have. I went through all the menus under Setup, but did not see the Firmware version; I did see the serial number though, and I have a 813S unit. The manufacture date is Jan 05, so I hope it has recent firmware in it. Maybe Guitarman should add "How to find your Firmware version" to his instructions.
    I made a 2 hour DVD from a 8mm camcorder last night and everything went OK.