1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ILO DVDR04 stuck at "Hello" after Firmware Update

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by jpgoggin, Apr 24, 2005.

1. jpgoggin

jpgoggin Member

Hopefully someone has the answer to this problem......

I bought the unit around Christmas time and for the first time was trying to transfer family VHS recordings to DVD. The resulting DVDs images often "froze" during playback. I read another forum where the same problem was described and the fix was to upgrade the firmware.

I downloaded the WMEA1098.ES5 (03/14/2005) from www.ilohelp.com and followed directions to install it. I got the prompt asking me if I wanted to update, the successful completion message, and the instructions to power cycle the unit.

After power cycling the unit, it appeared to work fine. I copied my next DVD on +RW media to test. It recorded for an hour. When recording was finished, I hit the power button instead of the stop button on the remote control.

When I powered back up, the display is now stuck at the "Hello" message. The only button that works is the power button. I cannot even eject the DVD that I recorded to.

Can I recover from this or do I now have an expensive paperweight? Up to this point I was very happy with this unit. Is there some way to eject the DVD +RW from the unit without opening the unit up?

Help!!

John

2. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

If you haven't fixed this yet, when the recorder is off, press the eject button. This will both turn on the recorder and, after a short bit, eject the DVD.

3. jpgoggin

jpgoggin Member

Unfortunatly this didn't work. The unit did power on, but the DVD did not eject. It made some mechcanical sounds for a few seconds though.

I finally took off both the top of the case and the internal DVD player to remove the DVD+RW. The unit is headed back to ILO for service.

4. alfrednew

alfrednew Member

You may want to check the HDD. Just letting you know it may or may not be the problem. I've been stuck on "hello" before and it turn out to be my HDD.

5. olgdog

olgdog Guest

I have one of those same DVD recorders. The best solution I found when I had some trouble was to call the 800 number and they, ILO, are very quick to help out and solved my problem within minutes. I was told to reset the system and it worked. The guy walked me through it. Their 800 number is 866-ILO-DVDR. Good luck.

Olgdog

6. Ric_sjc

Ric_sjc Guest

I recently (May 22, 05) bought a DVDR04 from Walmart (Phx-Az) and it worked fine for one week. I was able to record in both DVD+R and DVDRW+R.

However, after 1 hour powered on (just playing but not recording) I inserted a blank DVD+R in the DVDR04. For my surprise the DVDR04 did not finished the startup sequence and the display became stuck at the "Hello" message. The only button that works is the power button from the remote control. I cannot even eject the DVD that I inserted to. Every time I power again the DVDR, the “Hello” message continued to be displayed and not even an image in the TV is presented.

Can I recover from this?

It seems that it is possible to reset the DVDR04 and recover its functionality. Does anyone knows how to do it?

7. Ric_sjc

Ric_sjc Guest

Do the following to reboot system.

1.turn unit off.
    2. Press AND hold the stop button
    3. Press power on the units remote
    4. the units tray should eject, go ahead and let go of the stop button and push tray back in.
    5. Power unit off and then power back on. you should be fine.

8. allenlg53

allenlg53 Member

Ric_sjc (Newbie) 23. August 2005 @ 20:37
    Do the following to reboot system.

1.turn unit off.
    2. Press AND hold the stop button
    3. Press power on the units remote
    4. the units tray should eject, go ahead and let go of the stop button and push tray back in.
    5. Power unit off and then power back on. you should be fine.

This didnt work.....whats next? Hammer?

9. catfreak

catfreak Active member

No, dyanmite ...

10. kylez

kylez Guest

These machines suck, I have waisted half a weekend trying these updates. I have 2 units to take back to Walmart. One has a receipt and 1 does not. I am ready to raise some hell if they do not make this right!

11. Ric_sjc

Ric_sjc Guest

If the soft reset didn't work you can try to get a RMA from ILO. They sent me a new unit with the latest firmware installed. After that, do not try to reinstall a new firmware. It does not do any major update anyway.

12. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

[ catfreek ] Has a very good solution for many with ilo 04 problems
    But
    Please No Dynamite. hammers, screwing with the DVD drive . If anyone out there has a no good piece of junk ilo 04 model, prefer the D04, Let ne know. I have purchased some of this junk very CHEAP.