1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ILO DVDR05 Anyone bought one yet???

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by teleho, May 20, 2005.

1. Jeannine

Jeannine Member

I had much the same experience with Wal-Mart giving all sorts of phone numbers for ilo that were dead. The Better Business Bureau ferreted out this guy & phone number:
    Steve Kuang
    Customer support manager
    Intervideo Inc.
    510 9797198
    He's the one that lied about having credited the full purchase price to my credit card. He has until Friday to respond to the BBB about the fact that he outright lied to them. I don't expect that there will be any response from him or anyone else at "ilo".

I have seen the ilo recorders referred to as Cyberhome, ilo, Lite-on, and now Intervideo. I warn anyone against buying anything under any of those names.

2. jimi

jimi Member

jeannine - maybe try some calls to your credit card company - who knows, you may get somewhere.

or try a different walmart store, if you have one. Take in your documentation like i did about who you called and what phones numbers were BS.

when i called walmart.com i thought i was getting thru to walmart corporate, but that is only the online store. she advised trying to contact corporate with your documentation thru the walmart.com site,-- go to bottom of page to SEND STORE FEEDBACK, she said that would go to corporate.

i didnt try it, since i finally got them to refund me at my local store. Feel free to provide them with MY info if you want -- or tell them YOU called those numbers, i dont mind....its just way too much crap to go thru as a customer.

3. Jeannine

Jeannine Member

Thanks for all the help. My plan is this:

1. Paste it all over the internet what junk the ilo recorders are. This is not the only group or thread in which you can find my posts.
    2. Make sure as many people as possible report them to the Better Business Bureau.
    3. Donate the recorders to the local Help Center to be sold for about $10 each with the caveat that they work "sometimes." The help center is a food bank and assistance organization for the local poor. (I had considered burning them in the back yard while I danced around the flames, but decided that was environmentally unwise. ;~)

Jeannine

4. peatmoss

peatmoss Guest

Folks,

I have a one year old DVDR05 that just went insane. Malfunctions too many to list. Before it goes to the great beyond, I want to try loading new firmware. When I went to Ilo's website, their link for 05 support was dead. Any suggestions?

Thanks

5. jimi

jimi Member

peatmoss - im pretty sure the files that used to be on the ilo 05 site were these:

DVDR05MU_489.nrg and
    DVR160_MU_ZU_Loader_105N.nrg

search the net and see if you can find them, if you cant, post your email address and i can send you my copies.

i dont remember which was the "front" firmware and which was the "back".

OR -look back a few posts and someone said the cyberhome firmware will work, and that site is still open.

6. Jeannine

Jeannine Member

I sent this letter to Wal-Mart corporate via the "send feedback" link on the web site today:
    I purchased two ilo DVDR05ZU DVD recorders for a total of $197.48 plus $18.28 in sales tax. I have had all sorts of problems with them. I never knew what they would do next. I tried to work with ilo e-mail support. They asked me to download two bios updates from their web site. To do that, I would have had to purchase a software program called Nero. Then, they sent me the bios in an e-mail and told me to copy them to CD's. I was to put the CD's into the recorders and everything would be fine. Neither of the recorders would recognize the CD's. That was one of the problems I was having: the recorders would not recognize discs. E-mail support had told me that, if the CD's didn't work, they would mail me CD's of the bios updates. When I e-mailed that they would need to do that, I got a response that e-mail support is no longer available. I tried calling the support number listed with the warranty. No answer. I called the Wal-Mart where I bought the recorders. They would not take them back because it was, by then, about 6 months after purchase. They gave me several phone numbers for ilo. They were dead numbers or numbers of companies that knew nothing about ilo DVD recorders. The warranty says that to return the recorders for warranty repair, I have to get an RMA#, only ilo doesn't answer their phone to give out RMA #'s. I reported ilo to the Better Business Bureau. They told the Better Business Bureau that they had credited my account for a full refund two weeks earlier. ilo doesn't even know my account number! There was no credit on any of my accounts. They just plain lied to the Better Business Bureau. The case is pending. ilo has until tomorrow to respond the the fact that they lied. I am under the impression that "ilo" is a name exclusive to Wal-Mart and that the recorders are also sold under the names of "CyberHome" and "Lite-On." The one who lied to the BBB was listed as "Steve Kuang
    Customer support manager
    Intervideo Inc.
    (510)979-7198". I have no idea what Intervideo is. I think that, if Wal-Mart is selling these DVD recorders under a special brand name exclusive to Wal-Mart, Wal-Mart needs to take some responsibility for this mess. Your name is being associated with ilo and complaints are plastered all over the internet. I have since purchased a Panasonic DVD recorder and have had no trouble at all with it.

7. geojedi

geojedi Member

I am sure, most of you have seen my posts i n the past, and for the most part I have praised my ZU05. But admittedly it has started showing signs of malfunction. Now I wont start complaining about it as it still works for me, Though it is 2 years old now and I found I have to let the machine warm up after starting it for about an hour before I start recording. I also found that walmart sells now a Sony 4x dvd+rw brad dvd pack and it seems work very well. Again I am starting to have some trouble with it, but as I said it is nearly 2 years old. possibly a little older. Now I know you wont get any good info out of this posting, but I thought it might give some ILO owners some hope, that not everyone is having catistrophic failures with there recorders.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2006
  8. kmtblt

kmtblt Member

Howdy, One & All,

I've been reading through the recent posts on the ILO DVDR05 Series DVD Recorders. Please refer to my post on page 15 of this thread:

[bold] ( ILO DVDR05 Anyone bought one yet??? ). [/bold]

The problems are caused by the old firmware not being able to recognize the newer, faster DVD disks. I spent a long time researching this problem, and with the exception of WalMart's ineptness, think you'll find the answer for every problem or concern mentioned in my posts. (Even about the "Nero" files!)

As for WalMart, the Fine & Friendly Management Team at the Wenatchee, WA store basically laughed in my face after I told them my problems. Their pre-programed little minds pretty much spoke the party line, and nothing else. [bold]Past 90 days, not our problem!!![/bold]

Kudos to those of you who actually received some type of referal assistance (Even if it was worthless info.)

Anyway, Since I took the steps outlined in my posts on Page 15, to upgrade my recorder, I've experienced only one [bold]"Bad Disk"[/bold] Error, actually it was several disks from a Maxell DVD+RW 15 Pack. It doesn't like that media.

Believe it or not, my best performance record with +RW disks is the "Office Depot" House Brand disks. 100+ records without an error!

If I can be of any further assistance, please leave a post, or private message me. It could take a day or two before you hear from me, but I will get there.

Later Gang!

9. jimi

jimi Member

naw - i upgraded the bios long ago -- mine had a different problem. But I finally got Walmart to give me back my $98-something- so then i went to circuit city and got a panasonic. I hardly ever used mine for recording - playback was my problem.

As I hope you have read in my previous post, the way i got success was to go to a dayshift supervisor in the electronics dept, NOT the returns dept., and show her my documentation of all my phone calls and deadends. She OK'ed the return - which was all i needed.

10. Jeannine

Jeannine Member

I had reported ilo to the Better Business Bureau for not honoring their warranty. Ilo lied to the BBB, saying they had credited my account. No one at my local Wal-Mart will take back the 2 recorders because it's over the 90-day return period. I wrote to Wal-Mart.com and got this reply:

Dear Jeannine,

Thank you for contacting us about the ILO product you have purchased.
    ILO is
    a brand name and has several suppliers. Unfortunately the supplier of
    this
    particular item, Cyberhome, has closed their U.S. offices with no
    point of
    contact. Wal-Mart has a 90 day with receipt return policy for DVD
    recorders.
    We would suggest that if your purchase date of this item is within our
    return policy window, please contact your local store for further
    assistance, as all exchange/return issues are addressed at store level.

Thank you
    Wal-Mart Merchandising Team

11. jimi

jimi Member

try getting the free nero download, then do the cyberhome bios update that was posted previously.

thats what i was going to try if i couldnt get walmart to take it.

12. jtwood12

jtwood12 Member

Sorry guys as I am new and you guessed it I got the ro5 and now its a piece. I need to see if someone will send me an update as there site is now closed and so is cyberhomes. I do have nero I just need the software. I have the MU1 modle if that helps. thank you.

13. jimi

jimi Member

jtwood - i can send you the bios updates that i have - just give me an email address.

the files i have are:
    DVDR05MU_489.nrg and DVR1600_MU_ZU_Loader_105N.nrg

14. jtwood12

jtwood12 Member

Well thank you jimi my email is jtwood12@msn.com sorry to ask for it but I have been trying to get ahold of those for about 4 months now. Thanks again

15. James0823

James0823 Member

FWIW, the Cyberhome site is still there. I just went there and had no trouble navigating to the pages with the DVR-1600 firmwares. Maybe you tried them when they were down for maintenance or something?

James

16. geojedi

geojedi Member

Will the cyberhome download work with the ZU model recorder.... MU is clearly in the name of the download.... Is it compatible....?

17. James0823

James0823 Member

My impression is that there is different firmware for the MU and ZU models. It sounds like you're trying to use a direct link to the firmware d/l. If you go to the support section of the Cyberhome site and look at the models, there is a DVR 1600ZU. For the record, I haven't used Cyberhome firmware myself, but from what I've read here, that should give you what you need.

James

18. geojedi

geojedi Member

I will take a look, but I didnt see a ZU download the last time I was there, I wouldnt even try it if I could get one from ILO, but the link to their download is broken....

19. James0823

James0823 Member

FWIW, going to the Cyberhome support section and selecting the DVR 1600ZU DVD recorder takes me to this page:

http://support.cyberhome.com/support_web.nsf/$$Search2?OpenForm&Product=DVR 1600ZU

There are a number of firmware links there. I looked at the pages a bit and I _think_ the different links are for NRG (Nero) and ISO copies of the same firmware (frontend and backend). The first two links take you to pages with the NRG files. The second two links (with "ISO" in the name) are for the ISO files.

If I'm right, you can use whichever set of files works best for you, NRG (Nero) or ISO.

BTW, for anyone reading this that doesn't have Nero and is wondering how to burn those images to CD, the Cyberhome page I posted the link to above also has a link to "Alternative Burning Software". There is a link to a free program named ImgBurn. I've never used it (I have Nero), but I thought I'd mention it, because I know some people have mentioned in this thread that they don't have Nero.

James

20. muddawgs

muddawgs Member

this maybe beyond some but i just wanted to share that i too was in the same situation. mine lasted a year also. no luck in getting a replacement so i investigated further and found several leaky capacitors on the psu board for my drdr05/zu which was labeled on the board as a cyberhome 1600. mine showed misc bad disc errors whenever it wanted to and then finally started to have a high pitched squeal. when i pulled the cover off i saw several 10v 2200uf caps that were bulged and leaked on the top.. i found several same working voltage replacements and it works great now. no more bad disc errors and it loads and records just fine so far. i did not replace the others on the psu board.
    the bad cap manufacturer is fuhjyyu which was also noted bad caps on several well known mb's and computer psu's. just google bad caps and you'll get more info into this mess. this looks like it also maybe the culprit to some peoples problem here. if yours is having the same issues then take the cover off and look. i hope this helps.