1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ILO DVDRH04 Hard drive upgrade

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by gt1815a, Mar 30, 2005.

1. newsboy

newsboy Member

Turns out my unit was in fact a previous return (which I knew from the packaging when I opened it). How do I know?

Someone filmed amateur pr0n with their digital camera hooked up the AV inputs, and SAVED IT TO THE HARD DRIVE. Nasty stuff too, ugly fat people. Ugh.

Apparently the previous purchaser never deleted it. I feel so defiled now. I think this one is going back to wally world REAL soon.

What's the reason for your return? "There's amateur pr0n on the hard drive."

2. gt1815a

gt1815a Member

Newsboy,

You got lucky. I hope it was Paris Hilton and her boyfriend. You could make some money selling your ILO to Larry Flynt. I'll definitly look for returned ILO's at Wal-mart now :)

3. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

LCSHG,
    You are right!! LOL I had to use Gtrman here because someone else has Guitarman, yet I have never seen a post from a Guitarman here.

The HDD is formatted Fat32 and a larger HDD (over 80gb) has been formatted on a PC and install in a HD04 with success. You have to make sure to copy the ILO system folders off of a ILO formatted drive first. Once you have formatted the new larger HDD, copy the ILO system folders back to the new drive.

ande1352

If the firmware update crashes on you in the future and the CD will not eject, turn off the recorder and instead of turning it on with the power button, press the eject button. This WILL turn the recorder on and eject the disc after the startup sequence is complete.

4. gt1815a

gt1815a Member

Gtrman

Can you confirm that you have successfully installed a hard drive bigger than 80GB in your ILO? Does everything work ok?

thanks

5. newsboy

newsboy Member

No need. Several users have done it on other forums, using the instructions he posted.

It works.

6. gt1815a

gt1815a Member

Can somebody point out where the instructions are for upgrading the hard drive are posted. I know that we have to format the new drive FAT32 and copy the system folders from the old drive to the new drive. What I don't know is there any jumper settings on the drive that need to be changed before I plug that into my XP machine? I assume that I need to configure it to be slave somehow.

thanks

7. newsboy

newsboy Member

Check the DVD Recorder forums at Techlio dot com.

8. alfrednew

alfrednew Member

Hi,

Set up according to the standard HDD configuration. Alone = master ; In series with another = slave. If using slave, make sure you put back the jumper to master or CS before you hook it back to ILO.

9. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

10. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

alfrednew

It is FAT 32 and the name is LITEONFAT. Erase does format the drive on the ILO

My main objective was to connect the ILO drive to my computer and it would not recognize it. The problem was in the BIOS that was setup for AUTO on all drives. The ILO PVR drive was not recognized and stoped at post. I was realy frustrated. When changed to USER in type of drive, post reported drive failure but allowed me to continue.The drive was recognized.
    [the problem may be somthing for others to consider.The MB is an abit with award BIOS]

11. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

alfrednew

Forgot; I seemed that the PC omly wanted the drive set as a master.
    The ILO didn't seem to care if set to master, slave or cs

12. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

ande1352

While I have not done so. I believe you can install a larger than 80gb drive in the ILO that was formated on a PC I would seem that erasing/formatting the drive ON the ILO, would reformat the drive to 80gb. I guess that this would peclude erasing on the ILO and the process would have to be done on the PC

13. alfrednew

alfrednew Member

LCSHG,

Glad you got it working. Yeah, those Mobo bios can get you. I can see now why you were so fustrated. As for hooking up Ilo drive to the PC, mine had no problem recognizing it as master or slave. Personally, I find it a waste of space upgrading to a larger hard drive, when it is still using FAT32.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  14. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

alfrednew

My computer OS is WIN 98 SE. I have downloaded the latest upgrades and have no trouble with the video on MSN news or other video. My objective was to take the ILO drive to the Computer. When the PC sees the drive, I can transfer the ILO files to the PC. Under LiveTimeShift.vob it shows there are 4 files, circular [0kb], content 01 [2.97KB] . content02 [2.97KB] . content03 [.734KB]. I can transfer [circular] and [content03] not content01 or 02. The Error –[Can Not Copy Parameter Wrong] is displayed. Is this a problem? Any recordings on the drive will show up under AM_00001 – TITLE.VOB and than the file, it is content01. I can not run the file as is. If I add to the file a MPG extension it will run the MSN video Player, but than will display an error for an improper or missing codac. Another problemI, Also it would seem that when the drive is using FAT32 a file size should not be a problem I’m new to this use and when I had the BIOS problem I didn’t see the trees for the forest. Probably having the same trouble.

15. kmasters8

kmasters8 Member

i have succesfully backed up the entire ILO drive by using windows built in system restore..

i put in a 160gig HDD in the ilo its faster than the seagate and i have lost no functionality of the ILO whatsoever..

i couldnt have done it without normando..

i have now have the following recording times.

HQ 30 hours...standard time is about 16 hours
    SP 60 hours....standard time is about 32 hours
    EP 117...standard time is about 66 hours
    SLP 176 hours....standard time is around 99 hours.

i am not at home right now so the time maybe off please see my orginal post at techolio.com or at videohelp.com in the dvd recorder forum..

16. alfrednew

alfrednew Member

LCSHG,

The LiveTimeShift.VOB folder contains only cache files for when you pause a show. Recorded files are located in HDD video folder, as you've stated earlier.

17. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

alfrednew

I copied the Ilo files from a Clean {formaated} ILO drive
    Are you saying that missing files in the LiveTimeShift.VOB directory do not make any difference? I than put some video files on the ILO drive and could not play them for the previous post reasons

18. alfrednew

alfrednew Member

no. If your goal is to transfer video files from Ilo to PC, the Hdd video folder is where the recorded files are.

19. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

alfrednew

I understand where the rcorded files are stored. My problem is in the transfer or playback of files. Could be a file size problem or some other simple thing I'm overlooking. I doubt that I would ever install a larger drive but taking the ilo files to a PCI is a goal. At this point I'm using the ILO to transfer VHS to DVD and it works great.

The site that [Guitarman/Gtrman] has, is the best ever. I've had no problems, whatever, with the hack located at this site [ss3f.com/ilo]. With the ILO it solved a Macrovision issue that an expensive and time consuming PC solution hsd trouble with.