1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem I'm in over my head. I clicked on a link...bad move.

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by jmk1011, Nov 6, 2016.

1. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Hang in there....... I've got an early appointment in the morning and may be tied up all day.. You have Firefox on that computer, just try it.. I think you will like it better than IE if you get use to it..
    Don't buy anything.. I will line you up with the best free programs that will protect you better than the bought ones.... I been programming and testing security programs for over 50 years now and would not lead you astray.

2oG :) see you later.........

2. jmk1011

jmk1011 Member

Ok Master...I will hang in there and not succumb to the noose. Still teetering but trusting all is good. I no longer have Firefox on my computer unless it's somewhere I don't see it. Shall I download it again and do I uninstall IE? Thank you for your help and blessings for a restful night and joyfilled morning.

3. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Sorry for the delay. I been really busy..

I saw firefox on your computer but didn't check that it had been deleted. It was just deleted and was not "Hillery wiped" to get rid of the evidence. LOL

You can download and install it if you wish. I don't like IE because it's not as secure or private as firefox. It's your choice but you CANNOT DELETE IE! it is used by Microsoft for your operating systems updates and operation.

You have quite a few PUPS, i.e., potentially unwanted programs, not malware but installs adware and other crap... I will get with you later to rid them..

For now, please list any problems that you are having and clue me in on how your computer is behaving..

I'll be baaack! :confused:
    2oG

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Add-ons for firefox

here & a couple or so of my recommendations

ublock origin
    flash control
    no squint plus
    undo closed tab replacement
    textise
    speed dial
    google translator for firefox
    all in one sidebar
    ghostery -may break some website logins etc just disable when need too
    close tabs to the right

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/extensions/?sort=featured

final recommendation.Install linux perhaps the popular distro Linux Mint beside windows.you can test run it directly from a cd/dvd or an alternative linux lite or just keep em handy on a cd/dvd in case windows ever decides to bork

5. jmk1011

jmk1011 Member

Hello "old" friend. Hope you are well. Sorry I was gone for awhile also. So I installed Firefox and tried to uninstall IE... oops... didn't see your message. My computer is messed up. It's not slow but I notice things like: I sit down and my screen is black because it's on idle... I touch my mouse and briefly see (for instance) the icon for the program called Duplicate Finder, enlarged, in the middle of my screen and then it disappears. I also notice when I'm scrolling down the page I now have a, barely visible, line going across my screen. It reminds me of a scanner. I keep getting ask for passwords and then told they are no good. I'm thinking I've messed with it so much I ticked it off. Should I run FRST again or better yet... what would you like me to do from here sir? Blessings of joy always, Peace out.

6. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I'll be out all day till late but: Do a restore to a point that shows where you installed firefox... that will put you back before you installed it and should put you back before this mess..:confused:

Let me know and I'll see you later..
    2oG

7. Amiga5

Amiga5 Newbie

Hello there
    I have been following this thread and I must say you both are hilarious with the conversation.
    I have had this happen too many times and the one best solution is to reformat and reinstall.
    Once you realize there is something wrong the virus has done the damage already.
    For a good practice always have your system on a Hard Disk that is seperate so that if i does get sick you are not loosing a lot of other data. I have learned from Random ware that is in a media file like mps3, jpg etc and you find the system encrypted with a note saying give them 500 dollars and they will unlock your computer. In goes the disk and reinstall.

Also doing restores to an earlier date really messes up the NTFS file system.

If you have a windows install DVD then isolate your computer and if you have pics or docs to save then put them down to
    a USB flash drive or your USB hard drive. When I say isolate it means to unplug the lan cable so its not connected.
    Once you have saved off what you need make sure to not plug the usb back in or to another computer.
    Make sure you at least have the LAN adapter drivers copied to USB or DVD before you reinstall

If you know how to do a fresh system install then you should be good to go and do that
    With the network cable out put the install DVD in and reboot. F12 is usually the boot media key so press it while you restart. Select the DVD to boot from
    When you get to the page that says update or custom select custom.
    Delete the recovery partition and all pertaining to the system. If you have two drives just select the win disk
    -
    When your partitions are deleted you will be left with one un-partioned space . Don't create a new space just make sure its highlighted and select next.
    The system will install. After it is done make sure win defender is running and plug in your lan cable. If you do not see the LAN adapter icon in task bar then install the LAN drivers which you saved off.
    Update after the internet is going. From there it's just a matter of reinstalling your software.
    Before the saved media goes back in scan and clean it first

If you do not feel comfortable with doing this I would give you a hand and remote into your system from here. I am in Victoria B.C. Canada so time is to be observed. I just turned 55 so things are not as bad as our leaky friend but Sleep is a very good thing.
    Let me know Jmk

Amiga5

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Amiga5, I don't do that away especially about the un-partioned space.

9. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Come on, ddp, where's your Grammer? Maybe with your GrandPa?.... "I don't do it that way"
    I have learned, after more than 50 years of programming and working with computers that you must ignore or 'take with a grain of salt' most of what newbies have to offer. Good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from a lot of bad judgement. LOL :p

10. ddp

I thought experience comes from a lot of trial & error?

11. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Or grammar. :)

12. cyclops1

cyclops1 Member

2oG, Grandpa BW and ddp, many more, do all of you guys/gals have a halo from above?
    I know most of my experience is from breaking it and then fixing it myself.
    You guys are so patient with newbies and I hope that, when all is fixed and the newbie is happier than kids on X-Mas, you see them praise you in the way which you are deserving.
    You old guys and many others here Kick Ass!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  13. cyclops1

cyclops1 Member

BTW, do any of you guys have 2 cents I can bum from you? I'm broke!

14. ddp

I can't have a halo as not allowed 1 as I can't go upstairs or downstairs as there would be a mutiny. will cost you a buck for me to send you the 2 cents.

15. cyclops1

cyclops1 Member

ddp, the check and a self addressed, stamped envelope are in the mail.
    Thank you for your support.

16. ddp

no problem.

17. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I am pretty sure that my halo went out the window when I went to a war zone. I have been trying to get a new one since, though. :)

18. cyclops1

cyclops1 Member

GrandpaBW, try going to help the team assigned to developing a round tuit. Might just get the ball rolling a little faster.
    Oh damn, I forgot that there are no more balls.
    You're screwed!

19. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Yes, I miss spelled grammar.. that's part of the dam joke.... :rolleyes:
    You mean you can afford a stamp...... I'm so broke, I can't pay attention! :(

And for all you newbies out there....... stay away from the electric fences! That comes from experience! :confused:

20. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I know. As was my reply. Hence the smiley face. I have been around here long enough that I know that you don't have a problem with spelling. Have we both been had, sort of? :D