1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Image distorted when capturing from VHS to PC

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by dtech, Feb 1, 2005.

1. dtech

dtech Member

Hi,
    I'm new to the whole video conversion thing and I haven't figured out why when looking at my VHS tape on the PC, the edges of the image are frayed to the side. The tape looks great on my TV and is not copyright protected cause I recorded it myself. I even bought a video stabilizer and hooked it up to see if it would fix the problem, but the image is still unstable. I have a Canopus ACEDVio PCI Card and using Adobe Premiere Pro to capture. I've heard ATI All-in-Wonder Graphics Cards are no good for conversion from VHS to DVD, but I'm still using the Video Graphics part - is that the problem? I'm at a loss to what to do next - someone help please!

PC specs
    Intel P4 3.0 HT
    WD 200GB Internal HD
    WD 150GB External HD
    Transcend 1GB Ram

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

What you are seeing (I think) are were the Tape Makes Contact with the Head and it Makes the Edges of the Image look Fuzzy and there is usually a Fairly Thick Line of Distortion at the Bottom...Is this what you are seeing??
    If so this Is Normal, You do not see it on your TV set because all TV sets have about a 10% overscan area arround the Images which is there to Hide the Jagged edges that is allways there with Interlaced Video and it hides were the Tape Makes Contact with the Heads....

You can Just Crop the edges off if you don"t like them even if you Don"t you Probably wouldn"t see them on your TV because of the Overscan....

Cheers

3. dtech

dtech Member

Thanks Minion,
    That sounds like what is happening on my PC screen. I'll record the captured image and see if it displays on my tv screen the same way.