1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

importing MPEG

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by mikedz, Jul 5, 2002.

1. mikedz

mikedz Member

I have a lot of MPEG2 video captured from a all in wonder radeon. I am trying to import it into premiere so i can edit it. I have been able to import it before but i recently reinstalled a lot of stuff and now premiere says its an invalid file. I remember having this same problem a while ago but i can not remember how i fixed it.
    Any ideas?

2. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

I just tried this with Premiere 6.0. Seems that it doesn't like loading files with the extension m2v, but will quite happily import it if you rename the file .mpg

Let us know if that works.

3. mikedz

mikedz Member

No that doesn't work coz the files are already mpg. I always rename them as soon as i have captured them. Would i have to install an mpeg2 codec or something?

4. jnihil

Yeah, that may be it. My media player is playing via Ligos codec, so Premiere may be also relying on that. Give it a try.

5. zeppage2

zeppage2 Member

Don't attempt to edit mpeg-2 files with Premiere. Convert the file(s) to dv-avi with tmpgenc or the new procoder.

Premiere won't recognize the infrequent keyframes in mpeg and your editing will lose sync.

Mediastudio will edit mpeg files.

6. jnihil

I agree with zeppage. The motion of the imported mpeg2 video is very jerky and very very annoying to work with.

7. mikedz

mikedz Member

yeah mpeg is jerky when you use it in premiere. Thanks for the advice. I got ulead video studio with my all in wonder but its only good for quick basic stuff, it has no depth. I'm currently downloading the trial version of TMPGenc so i can try what you said. Do you know if there are any other programs that will do the same but are free?

Thanks again

8. jnihil

The batch function in TMPGEnc is rather nice when you're converting multiple files and don't want to hang around for each file to complete.

9. mikedz

mikedz Member

i got tmpgenc but i'm confused as to how i am meant to convert a mpeg to an avi, i only seem to be able to convert avi to mpeg. I doesn't really matter now anyway becasue for some strange reason premiere suddenly decided to accept my files. Really weird! so i can import fine now, so long as i don't reinstall stuff again and get the same problem. Anyhow thanks for the advice about using dv-avi to edit with. I will use that for when accuracy is needed but i can use mpeg2 for quick dirty cutting. I would use dv-avi all the time but the files are bigger. I currently have about 28GB of video and if i converted it all to dv-avi then i would have nowhere near enough space for it.

Thanks again.