1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Importing VCDs for resale

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by jasbo, Oct 9, 2002.

1. jasbo

jasbo Member

I am considering importing certain foriegn VCD titles for resale in the US. These titles are all copyrighted in their respective countries. I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience in doing this.
    Is is legal to resell foriegn titles in the US that have been copyrighted in another country?
    Are there any compatibility issues with foriegn VCDs and the DVD players bought in the US (ie. will foriegn discs work on all Us bought DVDs.)?
    Do I need to contact anyone in the US before reselling these or are there any legalities I should be aware of.
    Hey, I realize you guys are not lawyers. All I am looking for is some friendly input from anyone who has had experience with importing VCDs.
    All input appreciated. Look forward to hearing from you!

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

I dont really know of anywhere that sells vcd's and If you do I wouldn't mind the info!!!

If you are re-selling, then I don't see why copyright laws would have anything to do with anything (unless you're copying them and then selling!). Unless of coarse you look at the vcd and it says not for re-sale (hell you can sell your dvds over auctions cant you!!)

Imported vcd's might have compatibilty issues on US dvd players. US uses NTSC and you might get PAL vcds (usually the dvd player would still play them however!).

And I don't live in the US so I dunno who you'd have to contact when re-selling (except the fact that if your making money you should have tax on the vcd's.

hope that can help you in some way!