1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Improper Format Disc???

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by re4de2ye0, Nov 15, 2004.

1. re4de2ye0

re4de2ye0 Member

I have been backing up my movies for a while now and I have finally run into some trouble. I have been using DVDShrink 3.2 and RecordNow. Until today everything has been working fine. Now when I go to check and make sure I got a good burn it displays the VIDEO_TS folder and says that it is an improper format when I try to play it in Power DVD. I have not changed anything in the way I back them up so I am really confused and I am amassing quite the collection of Ritek coasters right now so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. This site is awesome!

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Is it only with PowerDVD that the discs aren't recognized or does it happen with standalone players as well?

Will PowerDVD play older burned discs that you know are good?

Have you tried reinstalling PowerDVD?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2004
  3. re4de2ye0

re4de2ye0 Member

No it happens with my standalone as well. It just shows the VIDEO_TS folder and that is it.

4. iq1

iq1 Member

I have just come across the exact SAME problem, my Drive is an MSI 8xMax +- DVD R/RW it can read regular DVD's no problem, but when I try and Backup my DVD's using (amongst other Software) DVD Shrink and Nero etc. I place the Backup in the Drive and it decides NOT to read it, now I have NEVER had this problem before and don't think I am doing anything different, I spent a lot of money on my Drive and have only had it for a few Months and I am hoping that it is NOT a Hardware problem because I can't afford to replace the Drive at the moment, basically it is not a case of trying to Pirate DVD's because I own the Originals and have Kids that sometimes get their grubby Mits on them, so I need backups, I tried different Software, Flashed the Drives Bios, un-installed, re-installed etc. and still no luck, the Burning process seems to have worked fine, but the Backups are useless, maybe it is the Media I am using? I am currently using Datawrite Red 4.7gb 8x DVD-R Discs, but anyway, any help would be realy appreciated on this subject, thanx.

5. Adder01

Adder01 Regular member

Not sure what it is, but here are some things to try...

- Look at the back of the disc. Has a lot of it actually been burnt?
    - Burn some other type of data (ie. some files). Check if these are readable/visible.
    - Dirty laser?
    - Burn at a slower speed.
    - Try different media.
    - Can you burn a CD ok with your DVD drive?

Adder.

6. re4de2ye0

re4de2ye0 Member

I guess what I do not understand is why it would happen all of the sudden. Its not like I have had a hint of trouble or anything then one day it just will not work right.

7. re4de2ye0

re4de2ye0 Member

Well I was successfully able to burn the "superbowl shuffle" on to a dvd so I have no idea what the problem is. I guess I will try Nero and if that doesn't work I will put my foot through my pc. It makes absolutely no sense and people tell me that I shouldn't use RecordNow and use Nero instead, why would I change if it has worked for the last year and a half? I don't understand, not that it could make a difference but my drive is a Sony DRU-500A, the media is Ritek G04.

8. Nephilim

There's absolutely nothing wrong with RecordNow - it's a very solid burning app and among my favorites for DVD.

Yours is an interesting problem and in all honesty I'm at a loss for for knowing with any measure of certainty what's causing it.

Can you think of even the smallest change that you might've made?

Are you using a new batch of media?

Any software that you might've installed?

Is DMA still enabled?

Have you tried the burner in another PC?

Have you tried reinstalling all relevant software?

9. re4de2ye0

re4de2ye0 Member

I got it figured out. For some reason DVD shrink was making a Video folder underneath the VIDEO_TS folder so that is why I was not getting a good burn. It works like a charm now. Thanks for the help.

10. Nephilim

Lol! That'll do it!