1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

improve video quality from avi files

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by ozy, Mar 14, 2005.

1. ozy

ozy Regular member

I have recently converted numerous flicks to dvd format using VSO divxtodvd converter and was wondering if there is a good app that will improve the quality (pixelation) prior to burning to dvd-r.

thanks in advance!

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

There is Nothing you can do after the Files have allready been encoded..

Pixelation is generally caused from either too low of a encodeing Bitrate or just Plain Bad Quality encodeing which is Probably what your problem is as VSO DivXToDVD isn"t the best encoder....

If you want to make DVD"s that Have less Pixelation and better quality then you should use a better method of Putting your movie files on DVD....

Try useing a Good quality standalone Mpeg encoder Like "Tmpgenc Xpress" or the "MainConcept Encoder" or "Canopus Procoder" to encode your Video files to Mpeg-2 for DVD and then use a Good DVD authoring program Like DVDLab to add your Menu"s and Chapters and to Burn the DVD...
    This way will be harder and take Longer but the Quality will be Much Higher...I can even fit 2 or even more Movies on a DVD with pretty good Quality when useing a Good Encoder to compress my files....

Cheers

3. ozy

ozy Regular member

Minion,
    Thanks for your advice.

4. andy25

andy25 Regular member

ok i have a video avi file and the quality is bad before i encode it is there anything i can use to improve it before i encode it???

5. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

You can try any number of filters in virtualdub, then frameserve.
    Depending on how bad the quality is, and just what the quality problems are, one can sometimes make a drastic improvement.

6. andy25

andy25 Regular member

ok its kinda pixalated so virtual dub should take care of it how do i use virtual duba thnks in advance

7. andy25

andy25 Regular member

i downloaded v dub and tried to open one of my videos and i gt an error it said it could locate decompressr for DIV3 format

8. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Download and install the DIV3 codec.

9. andy25

andy25 Regular member

ok i donwloaded and isntalled the codec now it lets me open the video in vurtual dub can anyone tell me what i do to improve the quality on a video the video i have is pretty bad so someone help me soon thanks in advance

10. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

The DivX3 decoder from recollection was buggy. It outputted RGB24 whether you wanted it or not. Still if you are running VDub filters then you are converting to RGB24 anyway. Still I would suggest DivX 5.x or ffdshow for decoding.

To use VDub, just play around with the filters and see if you can make any difference. Problem is that in your case you have a blocky source, so you try and reduce the effects of the blocks, but you also remove details at the same time.