1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In desperate need of help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Achilles3, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Achilles3

Achilles3 Guest

OK someone help me please. I have XP Pro SP1 and my PC is running into an odd problem. I cannot access some sites like google or hotmail and some other sites. I have not done any changes in the internet settings. Google keeps giving me the "action canceled" screen and hotmail takes me to the sign in screen, then after I put in my ID and password it gives me "the page cannot be displayed" screen. I can still access this forum, ebay, and yahoo fine. I ran Spybot S&D with nothing. Please help.

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

It may be a shot in the dark here, but go to Add/Remove Programs, scroll down to the bottom of the list and see if you have any SP2 Hotfixes in there. If you do, delete them.

Also, check your Security Settings in IE. If they are set to High, try setting them to Medium.

3. Achilles3

Achilles3 Guest

Many thanks for the reply, I followed your suggestions and it still didn't solve my problem. I deleted all SP2 hotfixes and restarted my PC, IE security setting is Medium.

Any other suggestions?

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I can't think of anything else right now. It may be that you need to reinstall IE, although, I have never done that, so am not sure how to go about it.

It appears that something is controlling what sites IE will let you visit. It may be some sort of spyware that got onto your computer. If you don't have it, download AdAware and run it. It will allow you to get rid of spyware on your computer. This very site puts spyware onto your hard drive, if you click on any links that may be in someone's post.

5. Achilles3

Achilles3 Guest

Hmm I ran AdAware and thought it would do the trick cuz it found 3 spywares (2 gators and 1 eZula). But not, so I guess my only option left is to re-install IE or format my HDD altogether then. Thanks for all the help though.

6. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You are welcome. I just wish that one of the other folks that frequent these forums, had an answer for you. There are some smart folk that post in these forums.

If you find a solution to your problem, please post it here.

7. Achilles3

Achilles3 Guest

One of my friends suggested that I upgraded to SP2 like she did, which seemed to have sovled her problems. It was too late since I already formatted my PC and now it's back to normal. I was advised early on from another forum that I shouldn't be using IE at all if running SP1. So that might have been the cause. I'm in the process of upgrading to SP2 right now so I hope it won't give me any more trouble.