1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

in My computer the C: icon dissapeard....

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by afgunzzz, Mar 26, 2007.

1. afgunzzz

afgunzzz Regular member

ok in my computer the C: icon has dissapeared? wtf can u tell em how to get it back? ive restarted and everything. its beeen a month and i just had nothing to do so i wanted to try and fix it thanks. heres a pic....

[​IMG]

2. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Follow these steps:

1) Open "My Computer"

2) Select "Tools -> Folder Options"

3) The tab on the far right says, "File Types" select that

4) One of the Files Types that will show will say Drive next to it. You may not have an icon in, but that is fine.

5) With "Drive" highlighted at the bottom right you will see a button called "Advanced" select that.

6) A new window will open and at the top right you will see a button that says "Change Icon..." select that.

7) It will open your C:\Windows\System32\Shell32.dll folder. This is where all of the Icons are stored for your machine. You may select the icon that you desire to use. Your original Icon should be there unless it was damaged or removed somehow.

Good Luck!

3. afgunzzz

afgunzzz Regular member

Ok my icon is here... i click it (so its highlighted) then press ok and get out and i still have the same icon as the screenshot below? whats going on

4. syxguns

syxguns Active member

I'm not really sure why that didn't work. Here is a link to a free program to change icons on your computer. http://www.sharewareconnection.com/control-icons-xp.htm

Maybe that will help. The other way may not have worked because you have a file on your machine called autorun.inf. You may have to remove that for it to work. Let me know if the free application works for you.

5. afgunzzz

afgunzzz Regular member

it doesnt work... when i click on "my computer" the C: icon apears for a split second then that icon in the snap shot comes up? this is before everything u told me to do....

6. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Try this. Open up My Computer and double click the C:\ drive. Look for a file called autorun.inf. Delete that file. That is what is causing the problem. If you have to do a search, but I am pretty sure it will be located where I stated above. Let me know what happens after you reboot the machine.

7. afgunzzz

afgunzzz Regular member

Yo wtf! everytime i hit C: it goes to teh search thing now? wtf is goign on i think it was that freeware u gave me !!!!!!!!

8. syxguns

syxguns Active member

I've never used that freeware before. Go ahead and remove it. let me think about this for a minute. I will get back to you as soon as I have another solution.

9. afgunzzz

afgunzzz Regular member

Hey bro check your PM!

10. syxguns

syxguns Active member

11. afgunzzz

afgunzzz Regular member

nah bro didn work... i dnt get that site...!

12. syxguns

syxguns Active member

I wanted to see what that first program that I had you download did. I downloaded it and now I have to right click the C: drive to open it! I need a little research time. I'll let you know when I have it figured out.

13. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Okay, I got the second problem fixed. Go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt

Now type cd\
    This will bring you to the c:\ prompt.

Now type regsvr32/i shell32.dll
    There is a space between i shell32.dll the rest does not contain spaces. This should fix the drive to open properly. I will work on the rest when I get home.

14. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Hopefully I can help you out, I had this same problem a year or so ago and started a thread and got a bunch of answers which worked. Let me see if I can find that thread, if I do I will post back if you don't hear from me again it means I didnt find anything.

15. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

This little guide is how I fixed the issue of "search" coming up when I double clicked....
    Ill try and find the info on restoring the C: Drive icon.

16. syxguns

syxguns Active member

PeaInAPod-
    Yeah, I found that answer too. The other command I mentioned is easier and quicker to accomplish without messing with the registry.

Do you have another suggestion to changing the drive icon? The first I gave didn't work, the second caused the problem that we just solved. I'm doing a little searching on it right now. Hopefully you will have the answer.

Thanks!!

17. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Yeah sorry, thats all I got. I couldn't find a answer to the C: drive icon issue.

18. syxguns

syxguns Active member

19. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Here's a tool to automatically make a backup of the registry,it's safe to use and contains no malware etc,it will be necessary in your case to click on the white with red writing icon on the desktop[once installed] to make a backup,it'll save having to restart for erunt to automatically backup as it will do it for every daily restart.

unlike system restore it does'nt suffer from the "no changes bullshit"

the software you need is at the top left [erunt "THE EMERGENCY RECOVERY UTILITY"]

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt

Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  20. afgunzzz

afgunzzz Regular member

hey sorry ppl i was at school and didn check here befor eu posted the fix on how to fix the search window coming up.... so i just done a system restore ! soz!

Oh well now if only i could my C: icon back :( thanks.