1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

in My computer the C: icon dissapeard....

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by afgunzzz, Mar 26, 2007.

1. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Look at the last post I made. Make sure that you follow scorpNZ directions also. You do not want to mess up your registry. ERUNT will be perfect for you. He put the link on his post.

Edit: PS I could have got that fixed with a system command. You did not have to do a system restore!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  2. afgunzzz

afgunzzz Regular member

i dont understand hwo to use that stuff... and i dont have the icon for the C drive i wanan use...

3. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Well, if you do not have any technical understanding of how to create the file and replace it in the registry, then I am left giving you another link to try. The link will take you to techrepublic.com. You will have to become a member (which is free) in order to download the application. I don't think that it cost anything, but I have not downloaded it. Here is the link: http://search.techrepublic.com.com/search/icon+and+restore.html

The second link down is called "Icon Restore (exe)" I think that is what you will need. Don't quote me on that because I have not used the program.

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

While your signing up to TechRepublic be sure to tick these two email newsletters,it's thru info like those that i learnt how to....
    Tech Republic Daily Digest
    IT News Digest

the sites below also have downloadable lessons or useful tips in email newsletters,sign up NOW
    PC Mechanic
    hp learning centre
    cnet
    zdnet

Actually i've just had a thought perhaps a rebuild of icon cache will sort it out as that bipmap is nothing more than missing it's overlay

OK Erunt is just a normal executable file and all is done automatically including restore registry,it provides the shortcuts for you ,all you need do is make sure when install window appears that you tick make auto backup of registry,simple

The erunt folder is located in drive C:,open drive c,unhide contents if necessary,there will be a bunch of folders,look for this folder "WINDOWS" open it,look for folder ERDNT, (note there is another that is listed in the folders list before you open the windows folder leave it,it contains the software to run the app and is not the one you open),ok you've opened the ERDNT,folder inside the WINDOWS folder,you should see another folder called BACKUP,open it,inside you'll see flders with daily dates (assuming you power off your comp when you finish with it),ok inside each of those folders there's an icon with two black lines with large green letters that says ERD,right cliking on it and opening will start a registry recovery,rebooting when finished will revert your comp to an earlier time

ok a recap
    1-my computer
    2-open drive c by cliking open
    3-unhide contents of c drive if no folders are visible look for "unhide contents" on the open window,it's there somwhere
    4-open WINDOWS folder
    5-Open ERDNT folder
    6-open AUTOBACKUP folder
    7-select from any of the folders inside and open the one you want
    8-clik on green with horiz black stripes icon to start recovery to erlier time
    9-restat comp
    10-all done

spelling mistakes due to brain typing faster than hands..lol..

5. syxguns

syxguns Active member

scorpNZ-
    I'm curious about ERUNT. I thought that when you first download it that it makes a complete backup of your current registry setting, as well as every time you reboot the machine. If in the current settings the icon image is not set correctly then ERUNT will not be able to restore that setting.

I found this in PC Magazine

[​IMG]

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

You are correct it will not repair the missing folder overlay,it's only for if he stuffs up inside the registry,it's a good app but can't work miracles..:p i use it as an alternative with system restore as syst restore does'nt always work,tho most times if i really stuff up i just re-image with the backup hdd.

7. syxguns

syxguns Active member

You are correct in the fact that ERUNT is a great program. It is actually said that with the use of ERUNT that you are recommended to turn off system restore. Personally I don't turn it off. If I have a problem, which thankfully I haven't, I would use ERUNT first. If it fails, which I don't think it will, I would then use system restore.

That is something that I have not had to deal with. My security on my machine is tight, and so far I have been lucky!

8. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Yeah there's no need to turn off syst restore,i did'nt even know it recommended it...lol..the only thing you need do is remove some of the older backups that erunt makes as it won't take long to take a space

Here's something else i'd recommend,you'll need .NET2.0 installed first, it's kinda like TweakUI but with a stack more functionality,i've been running it for around 6months and to date have had no probs so far,it's a better and safer way to make registry tweaks that can be reversed easily,i use it along with tweakui,my only advice is if the comp is having any issues no matter how small don't install until it's stable
    http://greenfield.kn.googlepages.com/home

9. syxguns

syxguns Active member

scorpNZ-
    Thanks for the link, I'll throw that on when I get home. I have TweakUI, and find it useful for a quick reg fix. However, more functionality is always a plus!

Haven't heard from "afgunzzz", I wonder if he followed the instructions and was able to get his icon back?

10. afgunzzz

afgunzzz Regular member

sorry boys was at school. and no still ant go tmy icon back! damn all this for a damn icon! the thing is when i double click on "my computer" for a split second the C: icon appears then the white icon comes back :(

What the hell is up lol

11. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Did you follow the directions I posted from PC Magazine? I'm pretty sure that is the only way to get the icon back. Use ERUNT first to make sure that you have a backup of your registry. The follow the directions.

12. afgunzzz

afgunzzz Regular member

from PC magazine

Dont have a clue what ther eon about there cuz the C: drive dont have a shortcut!!

And why do i need to take a backup of my registery when im not putting nothing in ma registry? im just using wordpad?

13. syxguns

syxguns Active member

What they are telling you is to find the icons listed in the C:\Windows\System32\Shell32.dll files. By right clicking and changing the icon you can view all of the icons. Because you can not view the icon from the folder. You count the icons so that you know what icon it is that you want to use.

If you are going to use Wordpad to create and save the document that is fine. Personally I would use the registry to do it. You have a greater chance of the file being messed up. Make sure to make the file hidden so that nobody may tamper with it.

It should work after you reboot your machine. Let me know how it goes. As far as ERUNT is concerned, you do not need to do it at this stage, however, it is a wise move to have such a program on your computer in case of problems that may arise. Take this lesson as an extension to restoring you icon.

14. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

@ afg
    C drive does have a shortcut all that's missing is the overlay (the pickie of a harddrive),i had the same prob around 3 years ago but could'nt figure out how to fix it and it really annoyed me so i reformatted...lol... but i could still click on the "missing icon" and it would open up the drive so i'd assume your in the same situation

Here's another handy utility,works a bloody treat,it's free and safe for all to use.
    http://www.undelete-plus.com/

EDIT: @ syxguns : there's 2 pm's sent

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  15. touran22

touran22 Regular member

hi yh i have the same problem as u! but i dont see how the site u gave me will help? cna u tell me how to use that program?

16. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

It won't help fix the issue you have now all it will do is make anything you delete by mistake later recoverable depending on how long deleted item was deleted from inside the recycle bin,best defence is not to delete anything that bypasses the recycle bin unless you know exactly what it is,anything that is deleted to recycle bin should NOT be deleted till 7 or more days,to learn how to use undelete plus install and use help file, it's easy to use,tho for now concentrate on sorting the icon out and worry about undelete later

17. touran22

touran22 Regular member

i understand this part yh but what i dont get is how i assign number 12 for example to become my C: icon? it just says

"[autorun]

ICON=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHELL32.DLL,12"

no were here does it talk about mentioning the icon u want to replace? all of this for one damn icon! and when i choose other icons for the C: they also dont work.

18. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Notice two things in this statement. 1st you must save the file as "c:\autorun.inf" You must use the quotes around the file name. The other thing that this does not tell you is that when you are in the "Save As" box to change the "Save as type:" to "All". If you do not do this then it may change the file extension to a .txt file.

2nd thing is to make sure that you save the file under the C:\ drive. The C:\ drive is your base. Now restart the computer and the icon should change.

19. FredBun

FredBun Active member

I visited this thread by accident, I'm sorry this kind of problem is way out of my league, but regardless, this whole thread is so very intersting cause I can't wait to see if this guy finds a solution and the one that found it.

20. touran22

touran22 Regular member

YOOO thanks bro! it worked!!! i followed the instruction and restarted and my icon was back yes! can i delte the text file now?

thasnks alot every one who helped but especially syxgunz!!!! thanks bro