1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

in My computer the C: icon dissapeard....

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by afgunzzz, Mar 26, 2007.

1. syxguns

syxguns Active member

touran22-
    Not a problem, I love to help. You do not want to delete that file, because it is an autorun file that executes the icon on startup. You may however, make the file hidden. The file is not a txt file, the file is inf. If you have a txt file, you may remove that.

To hide the file:
    Right click the file and select properties. On the general tab at the bottom you will see a check box that says Hidden. Select that and then the only way to view it is if you change the view properties to, "View all Files and Folders". You must have Administrative privileges to do this. You normally don't run with your view all turned on unless you are searching for a hidden file or folder.

I'm glad you got it working!

Edit:
    @FredBun-
    This is a good note to take in case you notice that someone else has a similar problem. Glad you enjoyed viewing the solution!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

@ syxguns
    Don't forget to send the bill mwaaaaaa

3. touran22

touran22 Regular member

lol im 15 wid no $$ coming my way sorry lol. and thanks for the tip about hiding the file. appreciate it!

4. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Yeah, scorpNZ was just making a joke! Hiding the file is good so that nobody could accidentally remove it. If you ever feel brave enough you might try the registry entry. Then you could get rid of the file. However, make sure that if you are going to mess with the registry to back up the registry using ERUNT. It will make a folder in your Windows directory called ERDNT. The program automatically backs up your registry every time you reboot the machine. It is good to occasionally go in there and remove older entries. They are categorized by date. If you click on the folder with the latest date there is a little application called ERDNT that you can run. This application will restore your registry to the previous state.

There are a lot of secrets that I could teach you. For example let's say that your registry was messed up and the OS is not loading properly. By pressing F8 on startup you will be given a menu of choices for startup. Select Command Prompt and you will see a black screen with a cursor.

There are a few basic commands to remember. If you ever forget a command you can type help and a list of commands will display. This screen is not interactive with a mouse at all. The command "cd" (without the quotes) is for changing directory. When the screen first loads you will be at the C:\ prompt. The location of the folder is C:\Windows\ERDNT. If at any time you do not remember the name of the file just type "dir" (without quotes) and a list will display of all the contents located in the folder you are in.

When you get to the ERDNT folder type "dir" again and look for the folder with the latest date on it. That particular folder will probably be in a folder called "AutoBackup". Which means that your location will be C:\Windows\EDRNT\AutoBackup\(whatever the latest date is). Inside that folder you will see an application called EDRNT. Type "run edrnt" (without quotes) and the application will run and restore your registry settings. Now you should be able to reboot without a problem. If you still can not reboot do the same thing again, but this time select an older folder because the most current folder did not have the registry backed up without the error.

Now, I imagine that everything I just typed looks Greek to you! If you have to just give it a try and you will soon see that it is not as difficult as many people believe. You have to remember that when computers were first all of the screens were in DOS, because programmers wrote that language using ASCII code which is a series of 0's and 1's. The 0's and 1's were, and still are, the way a computer recognizes what the user is doing. DOS stands for "Disk Operating System" and allows a user to use simple code to work the computer. I don't know what the binary code for the letter "A" is but it is something along the lines of 0010011. Could you imagine trying to program a computer like that?

There are many different computer languages now. Some languages are easier to build user friendly applications with like Visual Basic. There is another language that started out as C but now is called C++. C++ is a very powerful language used to create almost anything, but like I said before, there are a lot of different ones.

Hey scorpNZ!!
    Am I rattling on in non user friendly terminology? I feel like I have too much time on my hands! I could probably write a book that nobody would ever read! Somebody stop me!!

5. touran22

touran22 Regular member

wow u no your computer stuff man. i undertood most of what u said however belive it or not. i new what DOS was and i new about ASCII codes. i also new about C++. i tried it but that shit was sooo hard. i do quite abit on the psp and all this terminolagy ties in when u want to make programms for the psp! most psp apps are coded in C or Lua. Lua is the easiest option but some skilled ppl write there apps/hombrew in C++.

i know a bit about computers aswell. i know enough that i have never had to reboot my PC in 2 years! (when i first bought it) and ALL my mates have rebooted at least 5 + times in last 6 months!

But i love these little mods that ppl like u teach me. i will try the registery one cant be that hard!

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

That's all right your psp will do *rubs hands at thought of new toy*

@ syxguns
    You have to much time on your hands you say,i'd never have guessed :p
    i've gotta figure out how to instal fedora,ubuntu and knoppix inside a virtual pc,should keep me occupied for the next week or die trying,something will have to break so it'll be me or the comp...lol..

7. syxguns

syxguns Active member

scorpNZ-
    Are you running a Linux OS? I could be wrong but I thought that Fidora was based on Linux Red Hat.

I've been thinking about giving Linux a shot. I know several people who run it, but it seems that you have to be very knowledgeable of the OS and it's registries to get certain things to work correctly. There are so many different versions of the OS, that it makes it hard to determine which one would suit my needs.

I think that I am going to build a new computer and put Linux on it. I will try to gather as much information about the different foundations to see what would suit me the best.

8. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

I dual boot,the master is xp home the 2ndry xp prof,originally i had ubuntu and fedora installed on the primary with xp but could'nt get both linux distro's to boot,i could only get one to boot,then i decided to dump them untill i came across virtual pc,assuming i can get them to install it's a better place to make stuff ups and save disk space at the same time

Linux is a foreign language to me so there's only one way to learn,the biggest prob is you need to be used to working in the command line which i aint used to...lol.. installation in it's own extended partition is fairly straight forward as is updating the software,ubuntu is good coz you can get them to send the cd's for free *monster garage saying FREEEEBIEEEEE* :D ,knoppix and morphix aint bad ether and like ubuntu are free for download,tho knopp & morph need to be downloaded with bit torrent since IE has trouble with large file downloading even with DAP v8.0,you can run ubuntu,knoppix & morphix as live cd's,just burn the iso leave the cd in the drive and restart and you'll get an idea what they're like

fedora is based on red hat

The only thing with dual booting linux is not to install the grub into the windows boot file but insted put the grub in the linux partition assuming one installs it in an extended partition,imo your better off putting linux in a 2nd hdd if you were think'n of installing another OS,or just to muck around shove it in a vpc

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  9. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Why do you even bother with home? XP Home Edition does not have all of the networking tools that XP Pro has. In my personal opinion, XP Home is only good for people that are not going to try to network to a server. You can still do basic pier to pier networking, sharing printers, etc. But you could never physically see a domain.

Here is an example:
    I Built and set up a server for a company that had 30 machines. Every computer in the location was running Windows 2000 Pro. This was a number of years ago! One computer was a personal computer for a guy that was a PI for the firm. He had all of his personal documentation in the computer, but the computer was XP Home Edition.

I explained to him at the time that I would not be able to give him visual access to the Proxy Server I had installed, but could still network him through the Proxy to be assigned an IP address so that he could still browse on the Internet.

That was a little bit of work to get it going, but in the end I was successful. If I were you, I would backup my system, remove the partitions, and do a fresh install of XP Pro. If you would like to leave a partition for Linux you could.

Edit: Repair quote!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  10. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

I'll be keeping home untill i get another credit card to top up my object desktop subscription,i just can't go back to those old windows themes and icons...lol...
    i've only just recently purchased xp prof and it was after my OD subs ran out but it will come in handy when my brother and dad have probs with their comps,i won't have to leave the house..lol..

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  11. dunbugme

dunbugme Member

Hey syxguns. I had the exact same problem and I used the solution from this site that you linked. Thank you very much.

Keep up the good work everyone.