1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

in need of backup help!

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by DJLAD, Dec 31, 2005.

1. DJLAD

DJLAD Guest

can someone help me ? i bought a pc from this guy a few months back and it came with a ton of awesome software programs on it but no original discs. my problem is the pc is on the fritz and i want to restore using original restore discs(i have those). but is says i will lose all data if i do.i definetly do not want lose all these great programs. how do i backup each individual program i choose so i can reinstall them after i restore?
    programs on pc...achohol %120 , dvd shrink, fl studio 6,capture pad, capture wiz, fl studio 4, win rar, winamp, magix mp3 maker, adobe after effects6.5, photoshop cs, imageready,......etc. i really dont want to lose this stuff but there are some programs i can do with out and therefore do not want to backup the whole hard drive.

2. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

basically you cant. maybe we can help you fix the problem with the comp so as you dont lose all your software. why is it that you feel the need to do a fresh install?

3. DJLAD

DJLAD Guest

well the computer is constantly freezing and programs that used to open dont open anymore. i dont understand it, i have the latest antivirus and run scans once a week. i have antispyware which comes back clean. i have 1gb of ram 2.66 ghz processor. c drive is 300gb , d drive is 120 gb. i defrag often! i have norton sytem works which has the reg cleaner and all that good stuff on there but nothing seems to work so im kind of like screw it i'll just start over but i dont want to lose these programs. and i have all the latest windows updates and sp2. also when i restart it takes forever to shut down and the same for restarting. sometimes when i shut down i get certain programs that dont respond messages and have to "end now" sometimes they are programs that i never even opened to begin with.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2006
  4. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

well you could try doing a system restore back to the date you first got the computer. all your programs would still be installed and anything dodgy youve picked up since would be gone.

what anti virus/ anti spy software are you using by the way?

5. cmaldona

cmaldona Regular member

I had that issue before and I was able to make an exact copy of the HD with Ghost (Norton).

You should give it a try.

Good luck!

6. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

if the computer is locking up because of a software issue then its no use making a copy of the hard drive because your not getting rid of the problem your just keeping it backed up

7. DJLAD

DJLAD Guest

yeah, thats why i did not want to do a complete backup. i do have the norton ghost but im not using it. well i tried to rollback to an earlier
    date and i did and i notice now that norton is freezing on me now when im making adjustments and ie browser window wants to close by itself sometimes. im still testing other programs so im not sure this rollback thing worked yet.

8. cmaldona

cmaldona Regular member

Ghost should give you the option to back up certain programs only. Is worth a try.

Good luck!

9. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

get rid of norton it sucks

10. cmaldona

cmaldona Regular member

Hello SypherTek,

I may agree with you but Ghost has been good to me making perfect copies of my HD's in the past. What do you suggest as an alternative?

11. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

power quest drive image is alryt. but to be honest i dont tend to make whole drive backups as im never that fussed about keeping all my settings. i just keep all my stuff on my 2nd hard drive and wipe the first one with a reinstall of windows if i need to as it only takes 20 mins

@ DJ lad. if norton keeps locking up uninstall it and see how you get on without. if everything works fine id leave it off your system

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2006
  12. cmaldona

cmaldona Regular member

I do the same thing too. I have an external drive with all my "stuff". I use xdrive.com to store some of my goodies too.

I think the problem DJLAD is having is that He does not want to loose his programs and not necessarily Norton locking up. What about increasing memory? or perhaps removing/cleaning the hard drive.

Good luck!

13. cmaldona

cmaldona Regular member

I did not mean removing the HD ;=). I wanted to say "removing some stuff from it".

14. DJLAD

DJLAD Guest

well shortly after my last post i was in the middle of something and computer just froze and didnt want to do anything so i got pissed and just wiped everything out and did a fresh install. i redidi the hard drive partitons and put operating system on and nothing else. then all other things on d. c and d is on the 300gb hd i set partiton for c at 30 gb and the rest is d. and i made my 120gb hd e , and thats for all music stuff. ive reinstalled norton on d and everything is working great so far. thank you guys for all your help.
    i notice on this site that there is no more dvd decrypter,anyone know know where i can find it?