1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Incomplete rars using newsgroup

Discussion in 'Usenet newsgroups - Help, how-tos and discussion' started by cbrooks, Sep 11, 2008.

1. cbrooks

cbrooks Regular member

Hey all :) - Its been to long since I've posted last and I could use a little help.

So.....I decided to try newsgroups, just for fun. I've been torrenting for several years and I wanted a comparison.

I've got everything set up correctly (I think) and I'm having trouble with partial rars and the PAR2 files. I've d/l 5 things and I could only repair one of them using QuickPar. Ill just grab ALL the PAR2 files within the d/l and it doesn't seem to repair them.....

Once the PAR2 file is ran through QuickPar, it just says however many blocks are still needed and the "repair" button is grayed out. Is this only because I'm using free nzb sites (Merlins-portal)?. Or do I have to deal with this on a constant basis?.

Thanks for any help :)

2. mistycat

mistycat Active member

I can't help you much with this but are the pars and rars being downloaded to the same folder? And where are you grabbing the pars from? With them all in the same folder, you should be able to right click on just one and choose open with Quickpar, the first time you'll have to browse to it but thereafter it will be in open with. And then the repair or unpacking the rars should work. Shouldn't be anything to do with free sites but you could try another site to see, here's some: http://www.angelfire.com/gundam/newsgroupguide/freenzb.html After opening the pars, not all files need repairing but there shouldn't be any missing blocks either. Any comments regarding these files at Merlins-portal?

3. smlvfx

smlvfx Regular member

the problem is probably the retention time
    Retention is the time that a Usenet provider will let a file stay on there servers

how many days have the nzb file?

and what is the retention time of the news server that you are using?

the server with more days of retention is giganews but they are also the more expensive
    http://www.giganews.com/news/article/binary-retention-240days.html

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  4. SadJoker

SadJoker Regular member

Could also be you dont have enuff of the pars to complete the repair. Try seeing if you have all the pars for that particular nzb. sometimes the pars themselves can be incomplete and/or damaged. If you are missing some of the pars, download em into the same folder as the exisiting ones and try repair again.

Last ditch effort is to try downloading the rars that are damaged/incomplete again. sometimes rars will get posted that arent completely finished being uploaded. The pars can only recover so much data from the repair data they were made with using the complete rar