1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Increase Data Rate

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by wagneja, Nov 10, 2002.

1. wagneja

wagneja Member

I just purchased Pinnacle Studio Version 8 with their video capture card included. I took out my old card that came with the computer, installed the Pinnacle, loaded the software as instructed, started the software and tested the data rate. My rate is 3469 Kbyte/sec read, 3651 Kbyte/sec write. The system needs a minimum of 4374 to capture video.

I have Windows XP home edition, a pent. 4 processor at 1.6 mhz, 512mb ram, and an 80gig hd. I have already run scandisk and defraged the hard drive. Also installed the update to version 8. Most of the research I did indicates I should be running at a rate of 30,000 - 40,000 with DMA enabled. Windows XP defaults to enable, but my device manager shows both my primary and secondary IDE Channels' "Transfer mode" set to "DMA IF AVAILABLE", but the current transfer mode is PIO. I am going nuts trying to increase this speed, but have exhausted all research I understood as being related to this problem. Hopefully someone else has solved this problem a lot faster than I and can provide me guidance.

2. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

Does your BIOS have DMA enabled?

3. wagneja

wagneja Member

This may be the part I am not getting. I went throught Device Manager and checked the properties of my primary and secondary devices. Both were set as originally stated. How do you change the BIOS? Thanks for your reply.

4. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

Depends on your system, but usually you need to hit [DEL] or something just after power-up to get to the BIOS settings.

Suggest that you refer to your motherboard/system manual.

5. wagneja

wagneja Member

I called HP support last night, they had me change the BIOS from 3 to 1 with no improvement(I changed it back to 3). He updated my BIOS with some hack he found, that didn't work. The guy was pretty helpful and spent a lot of time trying to help. He suggested I call Pinnacle again. It is so frustrating knowing what the problem is, but not being able to fix it.

6. wagneja

wagneja Member

OK, I am working. I found a fix on Microsoft's forum. Basically, I uninstalled my primary IDE driver and re-booted. This reset my 6 timeout limit and enabled my DMA. I was able to capture one video (sound didn't take) from my Super 8 video camera. Second try was thwarted by a "Capture Error". Unfortunately that was all it told me. Back to the drawing board for the solution to the next problem. So far all I tried was to restart the computer.