1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

increasing wireless signal reception on my laptop ??

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by barton88, Feb 26, 2007.

1. barton88

barton88 Member

I spend alot of time in a campground on the fringe of wireless signal and get very weak to no signal. How do I or can I increase my reception of this wi fi signal ??? Does anyone have any information on the Super Cantenna ???

2. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

barton88- are you using the Built in ( Laptop notebook antenna/wireless or an external unit ? Router ect ? Perhaps some sort of high gain /or directional external antenna would help?

3. rcrockett

rcrockett Regular member

Yes, chances are you're using internal wireless. You can purchase PCMIA cards that can greatly extend the range of your laptop.

Why would you want internet access while you're camping anyways?

4. barton88

barton88 Member

Yes, I have internal wireless and it works fine here at home. I need something for better signal in campground since I am there (canada) fishing for approx. 6 weeks and use internet for weather and skype for phone calls.

What pcmia card will extend my range ?

I checked with linksys and they do not have what I require... suggested cantenna.com not sure of this item either..

5. ireland

ireland Active member

What is the range of a wireless network?

Each access point has a finite range within which a wireless connection can be maintained between the client computer and the access point. The actual distance varies depending upon the environment; manufacturers typically state both indoor and outdoor ranges to give a reasonable indication of reliable performance. Also it should be noted that when operating at the limits of range the performance may drop, as the quality of connection deteriorates and the system compensates.

Typical indoor ranges are 150-300 feet, but can be shorter if the building construction interferes with radio transmissions. Longer ranges are possible, but performance will degrade with distance.

Outdoor ranges are quoted up to 1000 feet, but again this depends upon the environment.

There are ways to extend the basic operating range of Wireless communications, by using more than a single access point or using a wireless relay /extension point.

more info here

http://tiger.towson.edu/users/arubin1/wireless_q&a.htm

6. barton88

barton88 Member

Campground has hardware access point and there are other motor homes & campers between myself and the router.

Something that would enhance the signal at my laptop if it exists would be best.

We had run ethernet cable to center of campground for router, however, lightening took it out & owner doesn't want to replace.

7. rcrockett

rcrockett Regular member

http://www.whotspot.com/p_wifi_repeater.html

Check out the link.

The first is a wireless network repeater, so if you could set it up closer to the router somewhere, that would work. The only problem is you need a power source.

The second is booster anteena.

Good luck.